Would you tutor for Kendrick given our position?

(21 Posts)
JangleJangleJangle Sat 18-Mar-17 09:42:23

My daughter is above expected in yr4 but would need to be tutored to stand a chance in passing the 11+.

We could just about afford this. But only just.

Kendrick is our options for a grammar school. Is hugely sought after with thousands of girls competing for roughly 100 places I've heard.

Would you tutor throughout year 5 or 6?

JangleJangleJangle Sat 18-Mar-17 09:43:24

Sorry I meant would you tutor throughout years 5 and 6?

Or just accept a comp secondary school?

irvineoneohone Sat 18-Mar-17 09:49:40

Sorry just a curious question, not helpful.
If child needs 2 years tutoring to pass the exam, do they keep up at the school, or they need tutoring after entering the school as well?

JangleJangleJangle Sat 18-Mar-17 09:57:18

She might not need two years tutoring. But if I'may going to commit to paying for tutoring then I rather do it for longer and give her the best chance.

Also the tutoring is on how to pass the exam more than what they learn at school I think

DSandDD Sat 18-Mar-17 10:30:32

The exam for Kendrick is right at the start of year 6 (1st Saturday back in September)... so you will only have 1 year of preparing..

PatriciaHolm Sat 18-Mar-17 10:41:54

I think tutoring (in exam technique as much as anything) is pretty standard in yr5 for Kendrick. As PP said, it's actually only one year because of when the exam is.

JangleJangleJangle Sat 18-Mar-17 11:08:35

Is one year enough?

LemonDr1zzle Sat 18-Mar-17 11:19:08

We've gone through this and had tutoring from Feb of yr 5 until the exam. We didn't see the need to do any more.

However, we sat the GL test. The current CEM test is supposed to be more tutor proof - more weighted towards English and comprehension. I suppose it depends on how confident your daughter is in that area.

At your stage, I scouted a tutor and booked a place for year 5. Exam technique takes a bit of practise and is absolutely something a normal state school won't be covering.

What are your alternative secondary options? The Kendrick open day is next month (be warned it is horribly busy).

jamdonut Sat 18-Mar-17 13:16:22

Irvineoneohone you took the words right out of my mouth!

If you have to tutor a child to answer exam questions, then surely , if your child can't answer the questions without that help, they are going to struggle at the selective school, should they happen to get in???

Aren't selective schools looking for natural ability?

Isn't it better to be high ability in a comprehensive school, than ( possibly) bottom of the pack in a selective school?

I'm afraid I don't 'get' it. I'm glad that all my children have been in comprehensive, and off to University, without adding extra stress , particularly at primary school age. Luckily, we don't live in an area where Grammar school is be-all and end-all, though there is one about 20 miles away, in our local authority.

How will you all feel if she is unsuccessful in getting a place?

Thisrabbitthatrabbit Sat 18-Mar-17 13:20:18

The problem is, so many people tutor that those with natural talent who aren't tutored can often be left behind.

JangleJangleJangle Sat 18-Mar-17 13:27:39

According to her school she is extremely good at Reading and writing.

However I don't know how that translates in comparison to private school standards.

Notcontent Sat 18-Mar-17 14:55:48

Jamdonut - natural ability is unfortunately no long enough ! All the kids are tutored (or do stuff at home with parents) so it would take an exceptional child to make the cut without preparation.

jamdonut Sat 18-Mar-17 16:13:29

Jeez....
It sounds awful! I honestly believe that primary school children don't need that pressure. I would have hated that for mine...They have long enough days at school as it is, without having to do more when they come home. When do they get to just be children? I can see a little extra help may not hurt if a child is very behind, but just to get them into a specific school...?

Ionacat Sun 19-Mar-17 09:26:33

I know of parents in Berkshire who tutor from year 1/2 to try and get into Kendrick/Reading Boys and then there are parents who pay for prep schools and take the test. It is insane and depending on where you are, there are some excellent schools without the angst of tutoring and exams.
Talk to her school if girls have gone onto Kendrick before they will have a fair idea of whether she is in with a chance. Then if they think it is a possibility and you think Kendrick is right for your daughter then find a tutor.

irvineoneohone Sun 19-Mar-17 09:52:39

It's quite sad English Education is all about who can afford tutor or not, and nothing to do with natural ability then.

LemonDr1zzle Sun 19-Mar-17 11:53:35

It is not only about natural ability - it's an imperfect system when (for 2017 entry) 882 girls sit the test for 96 places at Kendrick.

"Tutoring" isn't necessarily about paying for someone. Plenty of people help their own kids to prepare, that's no different from paying an outside tutor.

It would be foolish to send a kid into an exam of this kind without any preparation, even if they were genius level bright they might never have filled in multiple choice answer form before for example.

irvineoneohone Sun 19-Mar-17 12:11:01

I do get it's not all about paying. Though having/not having a parents capable of preparing children still creates divide.
But don't you feel sad, if the child who is genius level failed to enter the school, because he didn't know how to answer multiple choice question?

MrsTWH Sun 19-Mar-17 23:09:35

If you can afford a year of tutoring, I would do it. It won't guarantee you a place of course but it is good for them to be prepared - especially as so many other children are tutored, it at least levels the playing field a little.
I'd say it's not necessarily tutored children who struggle in the school but those who get in with borderline marks. In that situation, I would think it would be better for a girl to be a high achiever in a local school than bottom in a super selective.

Dixiechickonhols Mon 20-Mar-17 20:29:49

The 11 plus forum can be useful for advice and recommendations for books. 11plus Exam is so early in year 6 most children sit age 10 and parents do tutor or diy prepare to ensure the topics needed have been covered especially in Maths. Not sure re CEM, in GL they needed to have covered the yr 6 curriculum by exam when they have just started yr6. Vocabulary is important, word games, encouragement of reading classics etc, lots of 11 plus reading lists around. For verbal reasoning there are so many types of question and practice does increase speed. My dds exam was 80 vr in 50 mins so no time to work out on the day no matter how bright. Also basic exam technique won't have been covered in school yet pre Sats so timing, moving on, how to mark correctly in a computer read box etc. I wouldnt sit a 3 hour exam without any prep and wouldn't want my 10 year old too. Whether you tutor or diy with bond or letts books etc the children sitting will have done the same. Whatever outcome it will Stand her in good stead for yr 6.

smu06set Mon 20-Mar-17 20:34:09

I went to Kendrick - honestly if you will need that much tutoring then the school isnt for you. Kendrick is high pressure and your DC will have to get used to being the bottom of the year where they are used to being one of the high achievers. I have a 10year old son who i definitely wont be pushing to go to reading boys, even though he is able. If he wants to try he can, thats it.

Greenleave Tue 21-Mar-17 08:00:02

There are two things: naturally bright/love learning and hard working. They come hand in hand though. I met my friend's son the other day, he is doing gcse and predicted 7-8 A*, he is in Wilson. When he was in primary he was the average kid and was the least able among my friends' children. His mom tutored him for the grammar place, it was 2 years or more of very hard work. He is doing extremely well now. I used to have the ability question in my head years ago, now I could see my daughter's friend catch up really fast with tutor and parents' help. Having a rounded and happy child is now a challenge, bright or hard working isnt any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now