Talk

Advanced search

Edge Grove vs Lockers Park

(4 Posts)
ananga Fri 17-Mar-17 09:36:28

Hi I have 2 boys and am looking to move them from their current school. I can not seem to find a lot of reviews on these 2 schools. I know a little more about Edge Grove. Please would anyone mind sharing their thought on these schools and which they may prefer. Am looking for a school which can help children reach their full potential not artificially stretch them. Also a caring and friendly environment is important for us.

Thanks in advance

IdaDown Mon 03-Apr-17 21:01:58

Hi Ananga - I have a boy at Lockers.

I moved him from another local prep (not E.G.) several years ago.
He's thrived here. Lockers is a very small school - about 150 inc pre prep.

Lockers is not 'hot house', have a look at the leavers destinations see if anything catches your eye. We have more popular senior schools but are not a 'feeder' school to any particular one.

Have you been for a look around yet? You don't have to wait for an open day.

ananga Wed 05-Apr-17 13:47:45

@idadown thanks for your message. Have seen the school. Boys spent day there and loved it. We need a school that will support 11+ so seems it isnt an option.

IdaDown Thu 06-Apr-17 08:21:43

I'm not sure any school that goes to 13 (yr 8) will fully support 11 entry.

Partly because they work to Common Entrance timetable/curriculum and partly money - they want you to stay till yr8.

However, at lot of senior public schools now have pre-testing in year 6 with further entrance exams in year 7. So the timeline for testing is being brought forward regardless of whether this is a good thing for the kids or not. You just need to be clear with the school and ask what support they will offer with any possible differences in curriculum or with styles of test questions.

I don't think you should rule out any school that goes to yr 8 just for that. Some Lockers boys do leave at the end of year 6 for GS and schools that start in yr7 (St Albans Boys).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now