Advanced search

Taking child out of school to act in a film and keeping UK school place

(12 Posts)
londonkids Tue 14-Mar-17 19:06:23

There is a possibility my DD may get a part in a film in another country that would take her out of schooling in the UK for 1 term. The film will have tutors to continue her education, but I wasn't sure if her school would keep her place. Does anyone have experience of this?

user1484655514 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:01:34

They don't have to keep a place if you are out of school I think for more than 6 weeks, obviously if the space is still there they would take them back

noeuf Tue 14-Mar-17 20:12:03

I think you need to check with your agent. They need a licence from the LA and there are different rule for absence (i.e. Head can authorise for performers). We've not done huge stretches of time though so I've never looked at length.

noeuf Tue 14-Mar-17 20:14:04

You need this

Hassled Tue 14-Mar-17 20:14:19

If someone else wants the place, then the school won't be able to hold it for that long. You might get lucky if it's an undersubscribed school, but I don't think you can get any sort of firm assurance.

Bubblysqueak Tue 14-Mar-17 20:16:38

You can duel register, we had a pupil that spent 1 term at our school and the rest of the year abroad. We were oversubscribed but his space was kept open because he was duel registered. Not sure you'll be able to do this with a tutor though.

Jazzywazzydodah Tue 14-Mar-17 20:17:40

What a fantastic opportunity!

reallyanotherone Tue 14-Mar-17 20:21:12

Pretty sure there are exceptions for this, and you won't lose your school place. Your child will remain registered, just be on authorised absence. So he won't be counted as absent, i think they put them down as "off site education".

I know plently of gb athletes in the same position, away for long periods of time on training camps and competition, and that's how it works for them. Same with kids with long term illnesses.

Speak to your agent, and your head teacher.

jo164 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:49:56

Your LEA will have to authorise the absence for performance purposes which I would assume means that they will hold the place. West End child performers who live away have tutors, but the schemes of work are in fact provided by the individual schools so children follow what their class are, in terms of maths and English anyway.

meditrina Tue 14-Mar-17 20:59:09

There is a set procedure for absences because of performances, and how to co-ordinate between school and on-set tutors. Done properly, it's an authorised absence and therefore there is no risk of losing the place.

Speak to the HT and the LEA.

Zodlebud Tue 14-Mar-17 23:10:38

My daughter has had time off school in the same circumstances, although not for as long. School were fine - they worked with the tutor to ensure she kept up with her classmates and place was held for her.

However, we go to a VERY understanding and supportive school. The head has to authorise absence as does your LEA. A child who had the lead in the same movie was actually taken out of school and home educated as her previous school was so unco-operative.

I am assuming you have already spoken with school about the potential for such a big amount of time off school? I find if they are kept in the loop from the start then it helps smooth things.

Also, be warned about being the other child who just missed out. My DD was down to the final two for a major part and in the end it came down to the other child looked most like the director's vision and the other girl was best fit. It's a tough industry but one my daughter has had heaps of fun in. I wis your daughter all the best and hope her dreams come true!!!!

londonkids Thu 16-Mar-17 11:36:01

thank you for all your info - really helpful

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: