Talk

Advanced search

Godstowe, 3 yrs DD from oversea, where to live "exactly"?

(15 Posts)
ailyroot Tue 14-Mar-17 13:57:54

Hi All
Our DD will enter Godstowe nursery in 2017 and we are moving from oversea. As our driving direction is different from the UK, we think it is not a good idea for us to commute our DD by car until we are all settled for a while. Also school bus seems not good choice for 3 yrs child, so we are looking to a house as close to school as possible.

Then, I found this thread
local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_buckinghamshire/2060043-Whats-wrong-with-High-Wycombe

ouch! I did read it over and over but did not get enough info on which specific roads to avoid in High Wycombe, could you please share and update recent information ?

please do send me private messages if you think it is inappropriate to post those info in public

thanks

bojorojo Tue 14-Mar-17 23:59:26

Basically the roads up the hill from Godstowe are fine. Usually Godstowe parents live in these roads. Side roads are great but the nicer roads stop at the boys grammar school. I haven't got my map out to look at names of roads! Out of Wycombe in that direction you have part of Hazlemere, Amersham, Old Amersham, Penn, Penn Street, and I would consider Highendon Valley, Little Kingshill and Great Kingshill. Some of these areas will be quite expensive but the countryside is lovely.

bojorojo Wed 15-Mar-17 00:00:06

Hughendon Valley !

ailyroot Wed 15-Mar-17 03:15:40

Hi bojorojo

I kind of give up looking for the idea of "walking to school", do you have any quick idea about which area you said has direct bus to Godstowe? considering we had better not to drive a private car yet.

I am guessing beacons field must have one, but want to broaden my research scope a bit

bojorojo Wed 15-Mar-17 23:48:10

I am really sorry but I don't know about bus routes. My guess would be a route that goes from Amersham to High Wycombe because Godstowe is located that side of Wycombe. There is nothing wrong with houses on that side of High Wycombe. I am not sure what you want to pay, but they are convenient for the school and they are pleasant residential roads. There are some very pleasant roads in Hazlemere too.

bojorojo Thu 16-Mar-17 00:09:34

Brief look at bus routes shows there is one that starts in Great Missenden and goes to Prestwood, Great Kingshill, Hazlemere, Terriers and stops near Godstowe. It takes 30 mins plus from Great Kingshill so it is fairly slow and has lots of stops. Gidstowe is a 10 minute walk (uphill) from the railway station in High Wycombe. You could consider this. Or get a taxi? Any of the roads off Amersham Hill in HW are pleasant though.

ailyroot Thu 16-Mar-17 03:10:43

I checked Hazlemere yesterday and there is a bus No.48 going to MayBrook Garden which is close enough to Godstowe. Taxi is a good idea too! let's see how far we could achieve smile

TeenAndTween Thu 16-Mar-17 09:58:49

How long in time a journey would you be happy with?

Hersetta427 Thu 16-Mar-17 10:28:10

I will admit to using a similar product (poo pouri) but I just keep it at work for if I have to go there so I don't stink out the whole loo. Would never dream of using it at home. it does work very well.

Hersetta427 Thu 16-Mar-17 10:28:48

Please ignore that - posted on wrong thread !

ImaginaryCat Thu 16-Mar-17 10:38:34

Ex Godstowe girl here. Just to emphasise... HILLS! It's halfway up a very steep hill and the town centre itself is in a valley surrounded by hills. For a 3 yr old the walk from the train or bus stations would be really hard work.
If you're not comfortable driving (and I don't blame you, those of us who learnt to drive in Wycombe have a very special skill with clutch control!) then get taxis from the town centre.
The roads around Godstowe are nice, if anything comes up, but it's easy to quickly find yourself in a less nice area, if you go too far east.
Perhaps a relocation agent could help if you're unable to visit the properties yourself.

ailyroot Thu 16-Mar-17 12:59:51

reply to TeenAndTween
I would say less than 20 minutes on commuting(car, walk, bike(?) and cab) would be the best for us, I don;t want to get stuck in any traffic jam which will just waste time and sacrifice everyone's sleep time

to ImaginaryCat
thanks a lot for kind words from ex Godstowe girl! and you are so right on 3years old kind 's walking ability~

TeenAndTween Thu 16-Mar-17 13:57:35

I thought I'd ask re time as I think some of the places being suggested are perhaps a bit far out, especially allowing for traffic jams in the morning. (ex Wycombe Abbey here, but didn't go to Godstowe first smile)

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 16-Mar-17 15:54:37

Ha, yes, as someone who learnt to drive in Portsmouth which is so flat you get exempted from hill starts in your driving test and then moved to HW, that's quite a change!

It's more than 10 years since I left HW but it was pretty traffic clogged in the town centre then. However you could drive up the hill and out to Hazlemere, Terriers, Penn Street, Great Kingshill etc quite easily. You really want to avoid going through the town centre on the school run though.

bojorojo Thu 16-Mar-17 22:59:39

I was a Godstowe Mum and in my DDs year people came from
Marlowe and near Henley and I live further away than Great Missenden. People drove from Amersham and from all over really. You will never get to Godstowe without traffic jams!!! They are long and tedious at school time in the morning. My 20 minute journey was often 40 mins. If you want 20 mins you have little choice of location.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now