PE, how often?

(27 Posts)
wevecomeonholidaybymistake Mon 13-Mar-17 19:09:44

How often should KS2 be doing PE?

Is there a minimum amount of time or is it up to each school to decide?

DC's school are now only doing it for 1 lesson every 4 weeks. It seems very little to me.

ZombieApocalips Mon 13-Mar-17 19:11:00

State school. Double lesson weekly. (1.5 hours)

Algebraic Mon 13-Mar-17 19:16:02

That doesn't seem much. We used to do 2x double P.E a week, so 4 hours.

noramum Mon 13-Mar-17 19:20:07

DD (Y5) has twice a week PE but I don't know how long.

The school also offers a variety of before, lunch and after school sport clubs with little or no costs, they believe in keeping the kids active.

cantkeepawayforever Mon 13-Mar-17 19:20:34

IME, most primaries aim for 2 hours per week - an hour indoors and an hour outdoors.

cantkeepawayforever Mon 13-Mar-17 19:21:33

And YY to sports clubs - everything from lunchtime walking and dance clubs to competitive netball and tag rugby.

wevecomeonholidaybymistake Mon 13-Mar-17 19:23:16

So pretty shit then?

Luckily both DC are active with football, gymnastics and dancing plus we walk a lot. I do worry for the children who aren't though.

Badders123 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:25:32

Ds2 does PE twice a week - primary
Ds1 does PE twice a week ATM but in year 6 and 8 it was 3 times - secondary

MotherofPearl Mon 13-Mar-17 19:27:45

My DD is in Y4 at a state primary. They do PE once a week and swimming once a week (taken by coach to local pool). Not sure how long PE or swimming is though.

CheerfullyIndifferent Mon 13-Mar-17 20:09:09

Same as Mother here, however DD has mentioned they don't do PE every week. They do go swimming every week, 30 minutes a week.

mrz Mon 13-Mar-17 20:26:55

"*Earliest History of Mothers Day*
The earliest history of Mothers Day dates back to the ancient annual spring festival the Greeks dedicated to maternal goddesses. The Greeks used the occasion to honor Rhea, wife of Cronus and the mother of many deities of Greek mythology.

Ancient Romans, too, celebrated a spring festival, called Hilaria dedicated to Cybele, a mother goddess. It may be noted that ceremonies in honour of Cybele began some 250 years before Christ was born. The celebration made on the Ides of March by making offerings in the temple of Cybele lasted for three days and included parades, games and masquerades. The celebrations were notorious enough that followers of Cybele were banished from Rome.

Early Christians celebrated a Mother's Day of sorts during the festival on the fourth Sunday of Lent in honor of the Virgin Mary, the Mother of Christ. In England the holiday was expanded to include all mothers. It was then called Mothering Sunday."

So nothing to do with your own mother really

mrz Mon 13-Mar-17 20:27:31

Sorry wrong thread

MilkRunningOutAgain Mon 13-Mar-17 22:43:00

2x a week at DD's primary generally though the class has missed several sessions recently cos it's yr 6 and they are revising for SATs.

wevecomeonholidaybymistake Mon 13-Mar-17 22:53:17

Just wondering how they can get away with once a month then?

Greenifer Mon 13-Mar-17 23:00:26

Twice a week here (one inside and one outside as mentioned earlier). I think it's about an hour each lesson.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 13-Mar-17 23:05:17

In primary my two did PE twice a week, one lesson of indoor PE or athletics/individual sports & one lesson of team games. They also had a weekly swimming lesson.

WigglyWooWorm Mon 13-Mar-17 23:07:36

Ours only does once a week which I think is odd.

There's optional running before school and afterschool sports clubs though for the juniors.

halcyondays Mon 13-Mar-17 23:15:31

P.E once a week usually, I think, swimming once a fortnight, recently started doing the daily mile.

WigglyWooWorm Mon 13-Mar-17 23:22:57

Halcyon do they do the daily Mile in school or before school? Ours have just started before school and it's really messing up school runs with the other kids!

halcyondays Tue 14-Mar-17 14:45:01

They do it in school sometime during the day.

DaffodilDarling Tue 14-Mar-17 23:19:27

OP it may be a normal length of time if they're doing swimming this term instead? Ours have terms where they only do team games and swimming, no PE as such.

CountryCaterpillar Wed 15-Mar-17 07:20:31

Ours did swimming last term instead of pe. This term back to the weekly 1hr lesson.

I wish ours did the running as part of the school day but I'm taking in 20mins early if they want to run which is ending up quite a long day.

There's lots of optional sport clubs but it's almost as if daytimes are becoming sats factories and sport is before /after school activity.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 15-Mar-17 07:43:22

Twice a week, once indoors, once outdoors. but they get bumped quite often due to weather, other classes needing the hall for something, rehearsals for the Christmas play. A few clubs but apart from one run by an external organisation they only run for half a term at a time sporadically and with limited spaces. Minimal participation in competition witb other schools. It's one of the few things I haven't been happy with about the school.

MiaowTheCat Wed 15-Mar-17 13:15:31

Once a week technically in DD1's class. However this is stopped basically everytime anything else is going on in school, plus any time the almighty force that is "year 6 need the hall today" strikes - so they get sod all really.

Plenty going on in terms of optional lunchtime clubs, or adult led stuff on the playground (dancing, basketball etc) and after school stuff but all opt-in in those cases of course.

We just pay a small fortune for extracurricular stuff to get them into the active mindset anyway.

wevecomeonholidaybymistake Wed 15-Mar-17 16:09:58

No, they're not doing swimming.

Just seems they're trying to pull up academic standards or SATS results, by dropping everything they don't get judged on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now