Reading to teacher in Y1

(72 Posts)
JustFuckingReally Sat 11-Mar-17 15:19:41

Please can I ask you all how often your Y1 child reads to their teacher and for how long / how many pages each time.

I'm particularly interested in the difference between state and independent.

CandODad Sat 11-Mar-17 15:26:33

Every school and child will be different. Or are you hoping to be able to quote things like "some parents said their child only read two pages once a year?"

Melstarrynight Sat 11-Mar-17 15:27:03

My ds only gets to read to the teacher approx once every half term. He's in state school. I think it's mostly down to the parents.

BigWeald Sat 11-Mar-17 15:34:58

According to his reading record, DS read to his teacher once during the whole of Y1 (and once to the TA). We (all then Y1 parents) were reassured by the English 'subject leader' that our children were reading to grown ups at least twice per week and were continually being assessed.
According to my DS' unreliable accounting, it was more like once or twice per term, except for the 'daily readers' kids for whom it was once or twice per week.

He is now in Y2. I recently overheard the Y1 teacher saying to a new TA that they don't write into the reading record anymore when hearing a child read, because 'if we do, we just get parents in complaining' (presumably about how rarely it happens). I now spend 3h/week in the Y1 classroom and if those 3h are any indication for what happens in the rest of the week, then children are heard reading very rarely indeed.

This is a state school, upper middle class intake, they (unsurprisingly) get disappointing phonics screening results (80-90%), but excellent SATS (Y2 and Y6) including excellent progress Y2-Y6. Which may or may not be due to the quality of teaching at the school.

JustFuckingReally Sat 11-Mar-17 15:43:42

CandODad no plans to quote anyone but thanks for your 'advice' there hmm

Melstarrynight and BigWeald - thank you, IMO that's a shockingly low amount of time. I do understand that teachers have many other hats to wear but I would expect approx 15 mins per child at least once a week.

We're in independent school and not getting anywhere near this hence my curiosity.

Sirzy Sat 11-Mar-17 15:44:46

At ds school reading to the teacher tends to be part of the guided reading or other lessons rather than sitting down with the reading book they bring home

IamFriedSpam Sat 11-Mar-17 15:52:33

My DD read to her teacher or higher level TA four times a week. How long for depends on the attention level of each child - some read an entire book some a few pages. There's not a lot of point of forcing them to continue once they're fidgety and hating it. Some could get through an entire book - others who struggled a bit read four or five pages.

Boiled7Up Sat 11-Mar-17 15:53:53

I would expect approx 15 mins per child at least once a week.

But with a class of 30, that's 450 minutes... nearly 8 hours. There's only 5 house in the school day.

mrz Sat 11-Mar-17 16:07:50

I'm a Y1 teacher and have a small class this year(20) so most children read every day. How much they read depends on their reading ability. Some will read a whole book, while those reading chapter books will read a chapter or two.

InTheDessert Sat 11-Mar-17 16:20:12

International school, with small classes (20). TA listens to him read the first third of the book (we are down on blue) nearly every time it is changed - so maybe 3-4 times a week. And then I'd say once a fortnight they do guided reading, and once a fortnight they read to the teacher.

Okite Sat 11-Mar-17 16:26:57

My DD is in y1 at a private school, she reads 2 or 3 times a week at school, one of those is to a reading buddy from a higher year. Plus they do a guided reading once a week. Last year she read every day.

Coconut0il Sat 11-Mar-17 16:42:38

DS1 never read his scheme book to a teacher or TA the whole time he was at primary. We had a letter home when he started R to say it was a 'home' reading book. I assume that children who struggled were heard more but I'm not sure .
I'm a TA and 15 minutes for each child is just not possible. That's 7.5 hours of teaching time. We only have part time TAs, I would have to take overy the class for 3 of my mornings to free the teacher up for this.
The children all read to the teacher once a week in guided reading and I have 8 children I hear read daily. About 5/10 minutes each. A parent volunteer hears as many as she can once a week

RainbowChasing Sat 11-Mar-17 16:44:13

BigWeald, are you saying that they have an 80-90% pass rate in phonics? If so then that is far from disappointing.

To the OP (I believe it was) who said that every child should be heard for 15 minutes a week- you are clueless. That would be a day and a half of schooling/education time spent on just listening to children read a week. When do you propose the school then fit in phonics, literacy, numeracy, PE, computing, topic, pshe/re etc. I hate it when people shirk their parenting responsibilities. Just listen to your kid read. Not every aspect of education is just the teachers job. They do what they can in the limited time available.

jamdonut Sat 11-Mar-17 17:32:54

This is fascinating.
How on earth do you expect us to fit 15 mins reading per child per week?!
It's more like 5 minutes.They are quite often snatched moments between other tasks. In that time, depending on how well they read, they will either get through a whole book ( lower level bookbands) or several pages ( books with smaller font, longer paragraphs, chapters, etc.
During that time we also need to ask questions, to note their understanding of the book( including vocabulary), that they are reading.
Some children may be heard more frequently, for a variety of reasons, but mainly because they never read at home.

Those that do read frequently at home are most likely to only be heard once a week by the teacher or myself. But we keep records, and we try to catch up with those we may have missed as 'urgent' to listen to.
Sometimes, if we are lucky, we get help from parents or other adults ( often retired, visiting staff!)who will listen to readers for a whole session!

jamdonut Sat 11-Mar-17 17:35:35

By the way...State school in an officially 'deprived' area. School rated 'Good' .

suitcaseofdreams Sat 11-Mar-17 17:42:36

Mine (twins year 1) read to an adult most days as part of a guided reading group - so in practice they read a sentence or two each time. The session also covers comprehension etc not just reading. They almost never get one on one reading time with an adult in school - they are both good readers and I hear them read 4-5 times a week at home - as I understand it the one on one sessions with adults prioritise the less strong readers/those who don't have so many opportunities to read at home. I'm fine with that though. State primary, 23 in class for what it's worth :-)

BigWeald Sat 11-Mar-17 17:53:10

Rainbow, well I happen to believe that with decent SSP teaching without other stuff thrown in, it should be no problem to achieve 95% pass rate in a bad year.
Many many schools (judging from posts on here), ours included, pay lip service only to SSP and use more or less mixed methods. In which case I agree that it is too much to hope for 95%+ pass rates. So in the context of that, our school's results are entirely within the expected range. But they are still disappointing because they are an expression of the school refusing to use best practice in teaching, IMHO.

GertrudeBelle Sat 11-Mar-17 17:54:57

At my DC's schools they have confirmed that they listen to children read once per half term (normally towards the end of term). I was shock

They say that they spend their time teaching, not checking whether individual students have learned.

I make sure now that we do big chunks of reading every night, including during holidays. Actually that has been v effective - DS1 was a free reader by the end of year 1 and DS2 is also ahead of the game in reception.

So maybe the school's approach is valid. confused

TwatteryFlowers Sat 11-Mar-17 18:08:43

The last time I taught y1 (over 6 years ago now) each child had to read with me at least once a week and at least twice to another adult in school, such as a t.a., a dinner lady or a parent volunteer. In my class at the time there were 27 children and fitting all that in as well as a session of guided reading for each group on top of all the other lessons in the curriculum was a right ball ache. It seemed to work though: attainment in reading was generally very good. This was a state primary school in an area with high levels of social deprivation.

At ds' school he seems to read to an adult once in a blue moon and his actual class teacher has only signed his reading record twice in the whole term. He is still making good progress though. This is also a state primary school in quite a poor area.

rollonthesummer Sat 11-Mar-17 18:11:01

But with a class of 30, that's 450 minutes... nearly 8 hours. There's only 5 house in the school day.

Absolutely! What do you expect the other 29 to do for the best part of 8 hours a week-sit and amuse themselves??

raisinsofwrath Sat 11-Mar-17 20:20:04

DD has read to her teacher 5 times since September according to her reading diary. She reads with a yr5 reading buddy every 1-2 weeks. With the teacher it's only a few pages but usually the whole book with her buddy.

sirfredfredgeorge Sat 11-Mar-17 21:01:04

DD YR1, reads to the class teacher one on one twice a term and they miss assembly for it so 15 minutes at most. She has once read to year 6 kid, and once to some outside guy. The weaker readers though get more support in this way from other readers.

School is in London suburb, two form intake high levels of EAL and FSM, but not exclusively as kids come not just from the more deprived area. Phonics teaching appears to be sound as described on here and pretty sure the PSC results are above the average despite the area.

sirfredfredgeorge Sat 11-Mar-17 21:02:45

Oh and there's no reading diary other than for the home reading book - which is changed when they want, and DD changes it about average for the class at maybe twice a week.

smilingsarahb Sat 11-Mar-17 21:12:08

My son is heard in group reading once a fortnight by the class teacher. They hear them read individually maybe 4 times a year.

JustFuckingReally Sat 11-Mar-17 21:53:39

mrz

Your comment resonates with me most. My child is in a class of 19, reads chapter books and reads (at most) once a week, 3 pages. He has an attention span that can cope with much more.

I honestly don't think it's enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now