Advanced search

In year admissions

(18 Posts)
HomeExtender Thu 09-Mar-17 16:23:57

Is there an optimum age for changing schools? We are looking into this for our 3 children (Y5 & two children in Y1). We are mainly considering it because our eldest is having problems with a controlling friend & as there are only two other boys in his year (who play footballat break/lunch & our son doesn't) there is little opportunity to make new friendships. His self esteem is at rock bottom and we have seen a new school that we feel would be brilliant for him. However, our youngest two are doing really well so we are concerned about moving them too but don't want to encounter the same problems with limited opportunity for friendships as there are only 10 kids in their class. Has anyone moved their kids and it's been the best decision or have you regretted it? Help!

tiggytape Fri 10-Mar-17 18:29:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

F1ipFlopFrus Fri 10-Mar-17 18:34:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Fri 10-Mar-17 18:36:12

If you're thinking of changing, do it now! Next year will be KS1 SATS for the younger ones and KS2 SATS for the older one. The younger ones will adapt very quickly.

Is the other school much bigger? Does it have space for all 3 DC?

You could consider moving the older one now and leaving the younger 2 where they are, if logistics allow, and then moving the younger ones at the end of Y2 (after SATS) when DC1 goes to secondary. Quite a few children move for Y3, especially if moving to private schools at 7+, and it would be the start of KS2 for them.

HomeExtender Fri 10-Mar-17 18:51:12

Thanks everyone. We made the decision to move all 3 & submitted the in-year application forms yesterday evening. It was such an antagonising decision & even now we are still having concerns we are doing the right thing for the 6 year olds. The new school has 2 classes of 30 per year so more opportunity of forming wider circle of friends. Wish us luck!! Thanks again smile

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Fri 10-Mar-17 18:58:02

Did you check whether the bigger school has spaces for all 3 first? The younger DC's class(es) will be limited by ICS legislation so certainly won't take over 30...

Good luck though!

HomeExtender Fri 10-Mar-17 19:24:35

Hi. Yes we've seen the new school twice and had a meeting with the new head earlier this week. The head confirmed there are spaces in Y5 and Y1 so now am waiting to hear back to see if we're offered places. Thanks.

HomeExtender Fri 10-Mar-17 19:24:53

I should have said 30 maximum per class.

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Fri 10-Mar-17 21:49:03

Sounds like you don't have much to worry about then!

Personally, I think you've made the right decision. We moved house last year when DC1 was 6 - didn't have much choice about changing schools or it would have been a 3hr commute for DC, but I can say that both DC have settled very quickly and very well into their new school. Hope yours do likewise, and I'm sure that your youngest will very much appreciate comprising more than 20% of their class, especially as they grow older!

Mamabear12 Fri 10-Mar-17 22:07:57

I think if you like the school the kids are going into and you help them with the change, for example make it sound excited instead of scary they will be fine. I transferred my daughter mid year to a French bilingual school (we are not french and don't speak the language, but want her to speak a second language) and I was a little worried bc she was happy at her previous school. But I really liked the french school and I was passionate for her to learn the language, plus she already knew some kids there. Anyway, she is super happy there, no problems whatsoever. In fact on the first holiday she was asking when she could go back to school after a few days and saying she missed school. It was def the right decision. I helped by making sure she was in touch with the kids she knew from the beginning and making an effort to say hi to the new kids and asking their names and encouraging play after school in the park. Perhaps once you get a spot, try to find out about the other kids and organise play dates.

MollyHuaCha Fri 10-Mar-17 22:13:09

We moved our children when they were 7 and 5. We were glad we did it then and did not wait any longer. Do your research, then go for it!

HomeExtender Thu 16-Mar-17 13:39:54

Thanks everyone for your invaluable advice. We applied and have now accepted the places offered for the new school so it's all systems go. No looking back now! I know it's the best decision for our children. Thanks again!

Gaggleofgirls Mon 17-Apr-17 01:09:02

Similar situation so it's lovely reading how all your DC settled so well. OP have yours started the new school yet?

HomeExtender Mon 17-Apr-17 08:03:50

Hi Gaggleofgirls. They start this week after the Easter holidays. Have you moved your children or are you considering it? smile

Gaggleofgirls Mon 17-Apr-17 08:13:32

We're considering it. Well I am DH is very definite to move DD. I'm just concerned about unsettling her but tbh she's unsettled anyway so need to just bite the bullet and do it. Can't do anything until after holidays though.

HomeExtender Mon 17-Apr-17 08:25:31

It's so hard isn't it. We just want our children to be happy...good luck with your decision. Best wishes x

Gaggleofgirls Mon 01-May-17 21:49:00

How have they got on?
We've moved DD, she starts tomorrow! She's really excited, I'm so nervous!!

HomeExtender Tue 02-May-17 01:03:19

It's been the best decision. Really happy!!! Good luck for tomorrow...hope your daughter settles quickly x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: