Talk

Advanced search

Guided reading for year 5

(7 Posts)
Sprogs3 Wed 08-Mar-17 22:10:18

Hi, I'm new here...I'm wondering if anyone has experience of their child having guided reading in primary school?? My 9 yr old told me is being put in a guided reading group...I'm assuming this is because he must be struggling (even though I think he is a good reader at home!) ??

Makingchanges Wed 08-Mar-17 22:33:04

Most schools have guided reading as a matter of course. It just means that the children read in a group with children of a similar ability. All children in my class have guided reading, regardless of ability.

Sprogs3 Wed 08-Mar-17 22:49:19

So should he still be getting reading books home with him?

irvineoneohone Wed 08-Mar-17 23:00:30

Yes, they have guided reading at my ds' school too.
It's different from reading at home. I think this depends on each school. At my ds' school children can read leveled books/ school library books/ home books etc, any books as long as they read 20 minutes everyday.

Sprogs3 Thu 09-Mar-17 07:23:42

Thanks so much for this. 👍

jamdonut Thu 09-Mar-17 07:28:58

As you go up the school, Guided Reading is less about the actual ability to read and more about comprehension, discussing language used , characterisation, themes etc, etc in more depth.

jamdonut Thu 09-Mar-17 07:33:35

They should still be bringing reading books home.
At our school we have levels up to 16. I think they use the levelled books for home reading, and also have a book for pleasure reading, or the occasional silent reading in class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now