Talk

Advanced search

Application for reception

(7 Posts)
Bicyclethief Tue 07-Mar-17 10:28:31

Hello

Im new to MN so i apologise in advance for any mistakes.

Essentially, I wonder if MN can help me with primary school application query.

I have applied for a reception place with our current local authority within the required timescales but since then our house move has kicked off and if all goes well we should complete by end of April. This means that we will move to a new local authority.

I have contacted both authorities to ask how I should proceed to ensure that my child has a place in the area we are moving to but I appear to be receiving conflicting advise.

In one instance, I was told to apply through the current authority and on the other hand I have been advised to apply for a place once I've moved. In either case, our application will be treated as late.

Of course, there is a chance that we do not complete and that we will not therefore move within the above mentioned timescales however, if everything does proceed I want to make sure my child has a place in our new area in September.

Has anyone gone through this and if so, is there any experience or advice they could provide on how to get the best outcome?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

SavoyCabbage Tue 07-Mar-17 10:35:07

You can apply to the new school using your current (far away) address and if there is a space you will be allocated it.

I think!

That's what I did.

Bicyclethief Tue 07-Mar-17 11:45:49

Thank you for your response. Do you mean I can apply through my current authority?

PatriciaHolm Tue 07-Mar-17 13:32:35

Your key problem here is that you don't have a provable address in the new authority.

As such, there are two approaches.

You could, if you wanted, apply to the new LEA (through your current one) now, using your current address. This will be treated as a late application, and you will get whatever is left over when they have allocated all the on time applications. This could, realistically, be anywhere in the LEA as you don't have an address in their area yet and actually they have no obligation to you because of that. The downside to this is that if they allocate you something, and the move doesn't go ahead, then you are stuck with a place in that area and not near where you are now. You could also end up with a place miles away from your new address.

Alternatively, and probably preferable, is that you wait until you have moved and have a provable address in the new area. You then apply through the new LEA with that address. You would still be a late applicant and get whatever is left over, but now they will have a obligation to find you something within a reasonable distance to your new address (or provide transport if over 2 miles).

Bicyclethief Tue 07-Mar-17 14:02:03

Thank you Patricia, this is very helpful. Perhaps I should apply as soon as we have the exchange date confirmed and that could ask my solicitor to evidence this.

PatriciaHolm Tue 07-Mar-17 14:07:10

Yes, that is a good plan, assuming the new LEA will accept proof of exchange - give them a call or check on their website what their policy is.

Bicyclethief Tue 07-Mar-17 14:32:13

Good point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now