Ealing Primary Schools - Woodlands Academy?(6 Posts)
Hello, I'm looking for local expertise to help with choosing which Ealing primary school or schools for my children. We are moving imminently so we can only take places in schools with vacancies (in year admissions process). We don't have any religious beliefs or attendances, so all the RC/ COE/ etc schools are out. They are doing well at school at the moment.
For my year 1 child, the only place with spaces is Woodlands Academy (formerly Hathaway). The ofsted makes for pretty grim reading, but it has improved since the last inspection. I'm plannng to visit this week so that I can meet the head and see for myself.
For my year 4 child, there's more choice (Grange, Hobbayne, others... )
Our longer term aim is to get them both into North Ealing and I am assured they will get there eventually, provided we are patient and wait for the vacancies to arise. However this could be 6 months, a year, 18 months...
Can you help to advise us what to do in the meantime?
1. Send both to Woodlands which is geographically convenient until place(s) come up elsewhere. I know that schools with a poor reputation often are staffed by altruistic and good teachers, and there can be an injection of cash/ a superhead after really bad ofsteds. Would love to hear your experiences and opinion of this school.
2. Send child one to Hobbayne/ Grange and child two to Woodlands. This will be a pain logistically to cope with two drop offs and pick ups. But child two will be higher on the waiting list for their sibling's school.
3. Go private for child two???
4. Go private for both children???
5. Any other options I've missed?
thanks for your help, really struggling with decisions here
can anyone help? We need to make a decision soon and Woodlands haven't called me back since I asked if I could visit....
I would go for hobbayne it's a very good school, Grange is tricky to get to if u live that end of the borough...Not sure why you would move to North Ealing if you get hobbayne.... I'm sure they have a breakfast club so your older could go to that....
Don't know about Woodlands . Sorry
oh thanks for the reply! The Hobbayne vacancy only just came out this week so it may be gone by the time we get there... whereas I know we can get a place at Grange place. You think Hobbayne better than North Ealing? North Ealing is closer (walking distance). Really appreciate your insight
Spoke to Ealing Council and as suspected, the Hobbayne vacancy has gone.....
My brother went to Grange and i went to Mayfield in the 70s..
I spent a few months in Hobbayne due to a fire at mayfield.
Hobbayne had a horrible old school building, felt like a victorian prison, dickensian. probably been modernised now.
Mayfield was/is surrounded on 3 of its sides by open parkland. Made my whole experience there so much better. very happy memories...
No idea what the ofsted for these schools is these days.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.