Talk

Advanced search

Jelly and Bean - opinions on these?

(3 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Sun 05-Mar-17 09:32:26

They're probably the reading scheme I know the least but the one DD1's school uses. They seem very good on the phonics, the usual will-to-live zapping at the very "a hat.... a cat" levels - just I've got absolutely no clue where she actually stands in terms of her reading really!

She's reception - onto the book 8s in the series (but they seem to do these A and B and random other series as well) having been skipped forward a few books fairly rapidly - but I've no idea how that compares with the average and can't find much online to enlighten me really. Just want to have a decent impression of where she's at prior to parents evening.

Seems fairly good (if a bit obnoxious) with her phonic knowledge - if I have to endure one more condescending lecture on what's a trigraph in the car I'll go nuts!

mrz Sun 05-Mar-17 10:09:08

They are quite good books but didn't meet the DfE criteria to be considered a phonics scheme

Mumismiss Mon 06-Mar-17 00:01:29

I used them successfully to teach my daughter how to read from the age of around 3.5 up as we were living in Japan. By the time she started at an English speaking primary school at 5 she was compatible with the abler students in the class and now (aged 10) reads for pleasure voraciously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now