Talk

Advanced search

Early Learning Goals

(10 Posts)
KellysZeros Tue 28-Feb-17 16:48:14

Does anyone know much about the Early Learning Goals in foundation year. Is there some kind of threshold score that is needed to progress into the next year after foundation year. This is something I am becoming increasingly worried about

PatriciaHolm Tue 28-Feb-17 17:17:25

Do you mean reception year in an English school, following the EYFS - Early Years Foundation Stage?

There are no levels that a child has to pass to progress, that doesn't happen in UK state schools. Obviously if a child were significantly delayed, there should be intervention in place, but that would be clear by this stage in reception if a child were that far behind.

KellysZeros Tue 28-Feb-17 17:29:50

Thanks for your answer, that helps a lot

Pengweng Tue 28-Feb-17 18:36:39

This website has a good guide as to what and when children should be doing things.

www.foundationyears.org.uk/2015/03/what-to-expect-when-a-parents-guide/

KellysZeros Tue 28-Feb-17 19:52:21

Thanks, that resource is useful, I'm writing about a friend's adopted daughter (who I think was terribly neglected) is nearly five, but at least in terms of communication is very delayed. They can put two words together, but no sentences yet.

I'm not sure she is yet getting the best help

Wellmeetontheledge Tue 28-Feb-17 19:56:48

Hello, I'm a year 1 teacher and the early learning goals are just so we know how children are progressing smile they get passed to the year 1 teacher (me) who will look at them to see whether any children need support in year 1. There is no need to worry about them smile

KellysZeros Tue 28-Feb-17 20:10:55

Thanks, would you be able to advise on what support my friends daughter should be getting. I would assume that my friends daughter is at the range of 30 months, but is nearly 5.

mrz Tue 28-Feb-17 20:19:08

If she suspects language delay it would be best to ask her GP for a referral to SaLT (speech and Language therapist) as they are the experts in this area. Have school expressed a concern?

KellysZeros Tue 28-Feb-17 20:21:53

School has extra help in for her. I don't know the full details but my fear is that my friend is ignoring the problem a little. A Salt assessment was made which said she had significant delays but the case was closed

mrz Tue 28-Feb-17 20:35:52

I'm very surprised that it would be closed if significant delays have been identified unless your friend has declined further action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now