Talk

Advanced search

How to help Year 2 DD with maths SATs

(7 Posts)
TickledOnion Tue 21-Feb-17 20:22:37

I thought DD1 was coping with maths at school, but recently she's been struggling. The problem is not the actual sums but the way the questions are written. She cannot seem to translate the words into a sum.

e.g. I buy a pen for 15p, I pay with 1 coin and get 35p change, what coin did I pay with?
Or I have 52 cars that are either blue or red. 13 are red, how many are blue.

How can I help her with this? Is there a list of these type of SATs questions that I can do with her? She loses interest very quickly if I try to do maths with her, so I thought if I could get her to do just a few a night with a little bribe, it might help.

ScrapThatThen Tue 21-Feb-17 20:37:50

Give her the bribe, forget the maths [unhelpful].

irvineoneohone Tue 21-Feb-17 21:06:02

Here are some word problems. This is paid website, but you can practice free for up to 20 question a day, so enough for few question a night.
Just filter maths skills by yr2.

uk.ixl.com/search?q=word+problems

I think word problems are hard for a lot of children. Mine struggled too.
Just need to get used to it. And use RUCSAC( read / underline(keywords)/ choose(operation) / solve / answer / check)

TickledOnion Tue 21-Feb-17 21:15:51

Thanks irvineoneohone.
RUCSAC sounds like a good idea. I think the problem is partly that we use online maths apps at home so she doesn't write anything down. Maybe I need to find some worksheets. I assume they do this at school.

Misplacedcell Tue 21-Feb-17 21:23:37

Visual aids and more practice and eventually it will all click.

irvineoneohone Tue 21-Feb-17 21:24:35

www.primaryresources.co.uk/maths/mathsD1.htm

irvineoneohone Wed 22-Feb-17 06:33:58

As Misplaced says, visual aids are very helpful.
Drawing diagrams, or using this kind of thinking blocks/models are useful explaining and understanding.

www.mathplayground.com/wordproblems.html

(Note this site is American. So, money problem uses $ rather than &. But we found we can totally ignore the difference in actual value, and think cent = pence, dollar = pound when using US site and worked fine for us.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now