Talk

Advanced search

E books for learning to read

(8 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Tue 21-Feb-17 18:14:45

Despite my best efforts, DS just isn't keen on reading. He's started reception this year and appears to be making good progress and can blend most normal sounds and di graphs - but only if he's in the mood and concentrating and that happens once in a blue moon.

After a stressful morning yesterday when I tried to make him sit and read his phonics book with me, I've decided to back right off and take off all the pressure to see if that helps!

We already do a game where the words are on cards, face down, and he has to find the pairs whilst reading the words to me but he's lost interest in that too.

He would be far more keen, I think, if I could find very basic e books that were like his school reading books but just in the iPad - there's lots of app games but I was hoping for actual stories... any ideas?

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 21-Feb-17 18:35:36

Dandelion Launchers are the only ones I know of.

I think bug club do ebooks, but I'm not sure if you would need a subscription through school.

Having looked on amazon before, I'm not sure there are many suitable early reading books on there.

irvineoneohone Tue 21-Feb-17 19:00:11

www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/reading-owl/find-a-book/library-page

Says tablet friendly.
Bug club is good, but you need subscription for school or home.

mrz Tue 21-Feb-17 20:35:13

I second Dandelion Launchers also Sounds Write app (only works on iPad unfortunately ) as best start to reading.
Oxford Owl and Bug Club (think there are a few free via MN) are OK once children have the basics

FusionChefGeoff Sat 25-Feb-17 18:42:01

Thank you so much - I completely forgot I asked this so it's a real bonus to have such solid recommendations to go on!

LadyPeterWimsey Sat 25-Feb-17 18:53:31

This site was brilliant with my youngest DC - lots of games, and online books as well. Even just doing the free trial might be enough of an encouragement to get reading.

user1488101708 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:42:10

Hi,

I am a teacher at Salesian School and use something called 'trugs,' stands for Teach Reading Using Games. I use it for my reluctant readers, they absolutely love it. When we do guided reading that's the first thing they want to do. They're card games and they definitely do work. Hope that helps!

mumandstudent99 Sun 26-Feb-17 10:49:52

Hi fellow mumsnetters!
I really don't want to seem like I am imposing on your thread but I'm a busy trainee teacher and mum and I could really do with some fellow parents to complete this questionnaire for my final dissertation. If you could I would be forever grateful!
Sorry if this seems like spam halo
goo.gl/forms/9qCMi9L0OkSmbSii2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now