Talk

Advanced search

Can I have a smear test if on my period???

(8 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 21-Feb-17 16:31:42

It's been a nightmare trying to book one in with my surgery. I have the coil fitted so my periods are often erratic and light if I bleed and a lot of time its mainly brown discharge rather then blood. Anyway I have a smear booked tomorrow finally as I'm well over due but typically I came on Sunday or at least I've had spotting and a bit of blood when I wipe, do I need to cancel??

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:33:28

I think it has to be as close to mid cycle as possible.

Notanotherpawpatrol Tue 21-Feb-17 16:33:59

If you ask this to be moved into health, you may get a few more answers!
I think you need to cancel. As far as I'm aware a smear test can't be carried out of you are on your period. Call them and rearrange for next week smile

Hgmother Tue 21-Feb-17 16:34:59

No you can't. Any time is fine except when you're on your period. Sorry love!

Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 21-Feb-17 16:40:47

Oops how did I end up on here!!! Sorry guys wrong topic but thanks for the replies 😁

This is why my smear is over due as my periods are erratic nowadays and I don't even know where my mid cycle is. Last month I ovulated on day 8 and had a 22 day cycle hmm

YetAnotherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-Feb-17 16:48:58

Hi there,
we can move this to Health if you like, would you prefer that or have you got the answer you need?

dizzielizzie1991 Mon 15-May-17 10:34:47

You can have it done if it is really needed but a routine ones they ask you to book when you are off. I only know because I had one last month (wasn't routine)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now