As the date for Secondary School Offers approaches, I'm wondering what the next deadline dates are should we need to go on waiting lists etc. The scenario is this: our first choice is a grammar which has two sites - one an easy journey from our house by bus...the other practically impossible to get to by public transport (I would have to drive dd but couldn't do that as I have a younger ds at the local primary). However, the school is not going to tell us which site dd has been allocated on offer day. It will just be an offer for the X School. They will send out forms to ask site preference and these forms will be due back on 16 March (the same date as the deadline for putting dd's name on waiting list for other schools). ie we will not know which site dd has been allocated before the deadline for which you need to put name on waiting list for other schools.
So my question is...if we are lucky enough to get offered first choice, can I accept the place and still put dd's name on waiting list for second choice. Then wait and see which site of first choice school she is offered. If she then gets offered a place at the second choice where we've put her name on waiting list, will this jeopodise her place at the first choice school? Or can I just tell them when they ring that actually we don't need the second choice school anymore.
Sigh. Why does it need to be this complicated?! Congratulations if you made it this far!