Talk

Advanced search

Behaviour DS 8 - part of growing up? manners

(7 Posts)
schooling123 Tue 14-Feb-17 21:47:09

Hi. I have noticed...( as spending more time with my DS in half term) that he becomes stroppy, moody and sometie with the "attitude". I feel if it continues like that, it will be more and more difficult to work on his manners. Please would anybody share how they deal with this? I know boys need to be boys, so I am trying to strike the balance and addressing his behaviour. Thank you

JoJoSM2 Tue 14-Feb-17 22:35:31

Not everybody is always in a good mood, adult or child... Could you give some specific examples?

schooling123 Wed 15-Feb-17 05:03:26

On many occasions I say something to my son, then he doe snot do it and says " Oh I have never heard you said that"

MilkRunningOutAgain Wed 15-Feb-17 09:03:24

My DS did & does similar. My method is to make sure I only ask for reasonable/ essential things. And when I do ask, if he doesn't react/ reply then I ask again and make absolute certain he has heard and understood, so there are no misunderstandings. We have talked about helping around the house, give and take, etc a lot too, when he is in a good mood! If he refuses to do as he is asked, there is a consequence, but only after warnings. My DS does need me to back off at times , my problem, not his. As he gets older he needs to be left to do things his way, which means I am having to learn to bite my tongue and leave him to it rather than interfere. HTH

golfbuggy Wed 15-Feb-17 11:16:06

Nothing to do with being a boy. Girls can be equally (or more!) stroppy.

1099 Wed 15-Feb-17 11:37:27

I did read a study, but can't recall where, that this is a common issue but is to do with brain development, basically kids brain are working so hard to incorporate all the info they receive that they prioritise things, so if they are doing something they tend to focus on it intently to the extent that nothing else registers with them, so it is quite possible that he didn't hear you even though you feel you were directly talking to him, I also have an 8yr old DS and have to ensure I have his complete attention (even to the extent of turning off all the tech in the vicinity) if I actually want him to action the request without my having to repeat it several times.

schooling123 Fri 17-Feb-17 09:35:19

thank you all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now