Talk

Advanced search

PTA mission statement

(10 Posts)
Hoppinggreen Mon 13-Feb-17 09:17:42

Can anyone please help me to write a short mission statement for our newly created PTA?
I volunteered as I have done some Marketing and Copywriting but I just can't come up with anything.
It's a large mixed school and we basically want to raise money ( mostly through "fun" events) to help buy extras for the school.
Any ideas would be great
Thanks

isaulte Mon 13-Feb-17 09:39:30

I'm definitely no PR/copywriter but in my experience the role of the PTA is to enrich the experience of the pupils of the school by providing funds and other support and ultimately assisting the function of the school in achieving the best possible outcomes for the pupils.
Reading it back, sounds really poncey but I sure you can make it sound far more.... accessible smile

2014newme Mon 13-Feb-17 09:42:37

Don't overthink it. Our Pta doesn't have a mission statement. They raise £30k per annum without one.

Hoppinggreen Mon 13-Feb-17 10:42:27

No, that's great isaulte, will steal large chunks of that.
2014 not my idea but I've been asked to do it!!

Hoppinggreen Mon 13-Feb-17 10:47:42

Might be screwed anyway as the school are insisting we have DBS checks specific to the school despite most of us having them anyway ( I have 2) but we have to pay ourselves and I'm loathe to do that to be honest

isaulte Mon 13-Feb-17 12:49:57

Why would you have to pay? I agree you probably need one specific to the school (as a large part of it is the school checking your identity) but it is FREE to apply for a DBS for a volunteer.

Hoppinggreen Mon 13-Feb-17 13:15:29

This is according to The Head as we could not be treated as volunteers at school in the usual sense since any activities we would be involved with would be outside school hours.
We have a meeting next week and we are trying to work it out but apparently we need one via school but we will need to pay.

isaulte Mon 13-Feb-17 13:25:18

I have to say I am baffled by your Head's approach to this - does he/she make your governors pay for their own DBS as that is tantamount to the same thing? It's very strange. I've never heard of a school charging their PTA for their DBS, even on the most simple level you are there to make money for them!!!!

isaulte Mon 13-Feb-17 13:28:37

Just for further info, read this www.pta.co.uk/running-a-pta/managing-your-pta/faqs-dbs-checks.aspx

The school where I work do DBS check their PTA members - for free.

Hoppinggreen Mon 13-Feb-17 13:33:18

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now