Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

French schools in London

(10 Posts)
Riviere Sun 12-Feb-17 15:54:55

We applied at birth to the Ecole Bilingue (apparenly we are #50 on the waiting list!), Ecole des Petits, la Petit Ecole Francaise and Ecole Jaques Prevert. I was wondering what other parents experiences had been in obtaining a spot? We haven't applied to EIFA and Jeannine Manuel because of high fees and not as good Ofsted reviews... but now are having second thoughts given how oversubscribed all the schools seem. Any thoughts/advice would be highly appreciated

Mamabear12 Mon 13-Feb-17 14:05:04

We didn't apply to any of the french nursery schools, but decided to try after first term of reception and were lucky enough to get a spot through the Lycee within a week of our application for a in year transfer. Apparently it is not so easy to do this, but we some how got lucky and we are not French. We are very committed to helping our kids learn the language w part time french nanny be activities after school. I think this helped. But I do know a lot of people who applied to the school and didn't get in. I'm a firm believer of trying and if u don't get in it probably wasn't meant to be. But just because it's difficult does not mean u will not get in. I had people tell me it was impossible, u have to be french or celebrity etc. I almost didn't bother applying bc I thought we would never get a spot. It was only the encouragement from one person who told me to apply and that you did not need to be french, that I decided to apply and I'm so thankful for this. Good luck!

sotiredtoday Tue 14-Feb-17 14:16:36

Just give it time and send your child to an English state school until a place frees up. It will do, eventually. It's hard to say when but waiting lists do move a lot.

Mamabear12 Tue 14-Feb-17 14:46:16

Yes, exactly, there is a lot of movement bc people move back to France etc. But I suspect they are a little choosey on who they accept as well. They don't just accept anyone, as when we applied I know there were 5 spots available and my friend also applied, but didn't get a spot! When my daughter started in Jan only one other child started and I asked about the other spots and was told two more will start end of Feb and they weren't sure about the last spot. I am very curious how they select and choose.

sotiredtoday Tue 14-Feb-17 15:06:02

There is a very clear admissions policy for French schools as there is for English schools which, we must assume, is respected.
I have always been a bit surprised that French school accept children which do not have a personal or family connection with France when these schools are part financed by taxes levied in France.

Mamabear12 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:10:53

In this situation I think it's only fair they accept some non french as it's supposed to be a bilingual class, but all the french go through the British system to get in for free, so it's only fair non french can get in through the french side even though we have to pay. I'm just so happy for the opportunity for my kids to learn french so I do not mind paying and I'm grateful we are able to do so. I was quite surprised though as I always thought u had to be french. This at least enables the classes to be a bit of a mix, although they are majority french. But in order for the bilingual classes to work they definity need some non french kids.

freeone Tue 23-May-17 16:04:54

We have an amazing experience in EIFA school.
We came from Italian school ( in Milan) through Southbank int school in london( awful experience), finally we have found a impressive curriculum and teachers. for our daughters 15 and 13 at EIFA.

They speaks Italian and English and we are getting high level DELE Spanish and DELF French .
Let me say thank you to EIFA.
My daughter 15 is ready to get into IB diploma ; she is improving every subjects she needs in the future.
EIFA is a jewel among old and dark school.
It s news, clean, with brilliant curriculum and program and teachers and more.
I visited many school and EIFA is the best I know of.
Grazie
Roberta

freeone Tue 23-May-17 16:22:38

No.
We are Italian
Friends or my daughters at EIFA are English , Spanish ... from other countries.
Public school in London unfortunately have no money and
English rich people prefer English indipendent school .
I found this situation incredible.

Rich school for rich people ???
Is not my ideology ..

freeone Tue 23-May-17 16:28:06

After disgusting selection in English school, French school accept people.
My daughter speaks 4 languages snd I retain a shame selection from school.
School is a human right
School is for everyone and my daughter have learned french... in 1 year😜😜😜
Tenkiu EIFA

MrsT75 Fri 20-Oct-17 09:25:36

Hello,
50th on the list doesn’t seem too bad, much depends on how many forms they have etc. If they have 3 forms then it’s 60 kids - you see the maths.
With some moving away so in reality you’re probably 40th on the list if not higher...
Do you know how where you are on the lists at other schools?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now