Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teachers - need advice please about being the 'new child' in class

(14 Posts)
Earlybird Tue 27-Feb-07 13:12:20

DD is 6, and will be at a new school in a new city in September. As she will be entering an established class where most of the children know each other quite well, I'm starting to think about what emotional/practical plans can be put in place to help her integrate as quickly/painlessly as possible.

I thought advice from teachers could be particularly helpful as you are first hand witnesses to how some children take the new situation in stride and adjust well, but others struggle. As teachers you are also the first line of defense in handling any problems that arise. Is there a way of articulating/generalising about what makes for a smooth transition into a new situation?

Is there anything I can do to prepare/help dd? Should I have any discussions in advance with her new teacher, and if so, what should be addressed? Also would be interested to know of any books that might help with a move and/or being the new child in class. Any/all suggestions much appreciated as I want to help my sensitive little school-loving girl stay happy and bouncy. Oh - and if anyone who isn't a teacher has suggestions, would be grateful for your ideas too.

ScummyMummy Tue 27-Feb-07 13:15:42

Oh no- I will be the only mumsnetter left in Victoria! Where are you moving to? Sounds v exciting. Sorry- no experience of settling kids into new schools but when friends' kids have moved school they do all seem to do just fine.

Rantum Tue 27-Feb-07 13:19:16

I am not a teacher, but I changed schools (and countries) 4 times as a child - although I was a bit older than your DD.

I think that the most important thing is that your DD feels really happy and secure at home, that she can discuss anything unsettling with you without feeling she will disappoint you - even at a young age children sense when parents are anxious and can sometimes try to compensate - so let her know that you HOPE she has a great time at school, but that you know that it is difficult to move schools and that you want her to feel happy to discuss the good stuff and the more difficult stuff with you. I hope that everything works out for you - children are very adaptable and with parental support moving can be a really positive thing. Hope that some teachers have more practical advice for you too!

chatee Tue 27-Feb-07 13:22:47

Is there any chance you can go to visit new school before the summer holidays(for a couple of sessions??)and therefore dd could meet her new class mates and possibly you could pass on your contact details to a couple of children that your dd gets on well with....and the chance to get together in the loooonnnggg summer hols?
not a teacher but am in a school and this sometimes works quite well..
Good luck with the move

Earlybird Tue 27-Feb-07 13:54:46

Thanks for responses.

Scummy - don't worry, we're probably not gone for good...just a few years while I get a business venture up and running in Tennessee of all places! The plan is that I will then be able to manage the business from London. So, Victoria will not be without us forever. Btw - a few months ago, I got an eerie feeling that I crossed paths with you/your family setting off for school one morning. There were two boys (didn't get a good look at faces, but appeared to be similar size), a man (who was walking the boys to school) and a woman on a bicycle setting off for work. Could it have been???

chatee - good suggestion. We visited the new school at Christmas, and might be able to visit again over the Easter break.

rantum - good point about letting dd know it's ok to speak about all aspects, and that I will listen/support her through whatever she is feeling.

ScummyMummy Tue 27-Feb-07 13:58:09

That sounds suspiciously like us alright, Earlybird. Say hello next time. Tennessee sounds v exciting.

Earlybird Tue 27-Feb-07 14:03:53

Should I shout 'hey scummy' or run after you like a nutter saying 'excuse me, but by any chance are you..' ?? The 'sighting' was on a road beginning with W, which we walk down several times a week on our way to catch a bus to school...

fennel Tue 27-Feb-07 14:08:26

am not a teacher but my dds (aged 6 and 5)changed schools twice last year - we moved 250 miles, and then 2 miles. They were surprisingly Ok with the first move, and when we gave them the choice of staying at the school they'd settled into for 6 months (near a house we were renting), or moving to another school close to the house we had bought, they chose to move school for a second time - so they could walk to school rather than be driven every day.

They really have coped very well with the school moves, I was concerned for them, and gutted at the prospect of the second move in a year, but they've been fine. Really better than I would have expected.

ScummyMummy Tue 27-Feb-07 14:14:27

We live on a quietish road beginning with W! Or do you mean the bigger road with Tesco on it?

foxtrot Tue 27-Feb-07 14:15:58

Just a quick thought, earlybird. At my DC school, which has two classes in each year, they mix up the classes every year, so it's not the same established group of kids (although obviously they know each other a little). Worth checking if new school does this?

Earlybird Tue 27-Feb-07 14:37:20

oh fennel - glad to hear it. I've got a dd who was in tears when school broke up for Christmas because she was going to miss her teachers/friends. I can only hope she adjusts to the move as quickly/successfully as your two.

Earlybird Tue 27-Feb-07 14:41:38

Scummy - not the Tesco road. It must have been you! Is there a pub on your quiet street? We live in a flat on a square near the (your?) W road. How funny to think we're possibly so close to each other!

ScummyMummy Tue 27-Feb-07 15:44:57

There is indeed a pub. If you are in the square near here we probably walk along your road to get to school.

Earlybird Tue 27-Feb-07 19:56:43

foxtrot - good point. I'll ask if that's the case. If so, would make it easier for dd I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now