Talk

Advanced search

Should I /how should I correct dd's spellings in her independent writing?

(24 Posts)
highlandholiday Mon 06-Feb-17 17:52:17

Dd is 7 and in year 3. She is not particularly fond of writing and will usually do the very bare minimum to get by.
Recently though she's started writing more for fun-little notes and books etc.

Her spelling isn't great though -e.g 'whith', 'biger', 'frend', 'poisen' feature on her latest piece.

I don't want to dent her new found slight confidence but neither do I want her to be a bad speller.

She usually learns her spellings for her weekly test by writing them out once or twice but then doesn't always use them correctly after the test.

Should I leave it for school?

mrz Mon 06-Feb-17 19:52:43

*"*^*Her spelling isn't great though -e.g 'whith', 'biger', 'frend', 'poisen' feature on her latest piece.*^*"*

Praise her effort ...well done those are the sounds in With can you think of another way to spell the sound /w/ great that's how we spell the sound /w/ in with.
Well done those are the sounds in bigger can you remember that when we add er we double the last letter yes bigger

Friend ...has a tricky spelling for the /e/ sound (and I'd probably tell her it's <ie.> and talk about remembering fri ...end

highlandholiday Mon 06-Feb-17 20:00:02

So do talk about it with her even though she's written things for fun? I feel like she'll stop bothering if she perceives she's getting lectured every time even if I couple it with praise.

Ohyesiam Mon 06-Feb-17 20:02:01

I would leave it, it's great that she's writing, of it becomes a chore she may stop.

mrz Mon 06-Feb-17 20:02:14

That's why praise is important as is learning it's ok to make mistakes and no one is a perfect speller

mrz Mon 06-Feb-17 20:04:00

The more times she writes it incorrectly and sees it written wrongly the more it becomes fixed. Spelling needs to be corrected from the onset I'm afraid.

highlandholiday Mon 06-Feb-17 20:54:10

Ok I'm on it. It bemuses me tbh as she's a fantastic reader-I'm surprised she can't see that what she's written doesn't look right. Maybe she would if I asked her to double check.
Also have a ds, 4 who is fanatical about spelling things correctly even though we're told to get him to have a go with the sounds he knows first he gets in a flap as he knows that isn't always 'right'. (I do show him the correct way after he's tried)

Arkadia Mon 06-Feb-17 21:05:32

mrz, tell that to my school... DD1 (now P3) is by any standard an atrocious speller, but AFAIK she hardly got any feedback from the teachers both in P1 and P2. It drives me DEMENTED sad

irvineoneohone Mon 06-Feb-17 21:12:29

Is she totally unaware of her spelling mistakes?
My ds uses spell check function on electronic dictionary when writing.
It's very handy, if you type in a word, it tells you list of correctly spelled words if you typed in incorrectly.

highlandholiday Mon 06-Feb-17 21:22:14

I don't think she cares to be honest. She wouldn't think to ask how to spell something or look it up.

jamdonut Mon 06-Feb-17 21:32:28

When we mark at school, we underline words that should have been spelled correctly, either by knowledge, sounding out or copied correctly from a word bank on the board. They then have to go and check or look up the spelling themselves.If they have attempted an unusual word or one that could not reasonably be sounded out, then we give them the correct spelling above the word.
Perhaps just ask her to think about the more common words that she has misspelled, " That's a really fantastic effort, but, ooooh, I think you know how to spell 'with' " .Get her to sound it out first : w-i-th

Arkadia Mon 06-Feb-17 21:44:31

Oh gosh... I cannot stand phrases like "fantastic effort" dished out like there is no tomorrow... if the child has made an obvious mistake I am not sure where the effort actually is. OK, rant over smile

I wonder what happens in the school where OP's child goes. Do they correct the spelling or not?

highlandholiday Mon 06-Feb-17 21:56:08

As far as I've seen in her books the words are underlined or corrected but not all have to be copied out again (although I've seen the 'whith' one before and she's had to write it correctly 5 times-one of which she spelt it 'whith' again confused)

irvineoneohone Mon 06-Feb-17 22:23:48

I think if she is in yr3 and still making spelling mistakes for words you listed, I would worry a bit.

highlandholiday Mon 06-Feb-17 22:29:39

Really irvine? It's parents evening next week so I will mention it then.

highlandholiday Mon 06-Feb-17 22:30:14

I mean I know it's not ideal but is it out of the normal range?

mrz Tue 07-Feb-17 05:38:20

Arkadia I'd be happy to tell them. I'm afraid there is a myth amongst schools/teachers that correcting children will scar their confidence for life. If it's done in a sensitive manner they acknowledging what's right and explaining how to correct their spelling children are more than happy to learn the correct way to spell words.

mrz Tue 07-Feb-17 05:40:37

Jamdonut she has sounded out the words but chosen the wrong spelling for the sounds so this needs to be pointed out.

irvineoneohone Tue 07-Feb-17 06:18:05

I don't know what's normal range, OP.
My ds is a reluctant writer who may get annoyed if I pointed out his mistakes.
He does writing for fun though, and he wants to read it to me when finished. While reading, he always notice if there are spelling mistakes, and correct it himself.

As mrz pointed out, not been corrected might have had effect on her, if she doesn't care about making mistakes on those spelling? Those are the words for ks1, aren't they?

irvineoneohone Tue 07-Feb-17 06:27:05

I have corrected my ds' spelling since he started writing. Now he looks up himself if he isn't sure, even for his fun writing. He still makes silly mistakes, but able to correct himself.

SuperRainbows Tue 07-Feb-17 06:39:28

I think if you draw attention to spellings when your child is writing for fun she will stop.
She's nearly got them all right anyway.
In most sensible countries in the world she would only just be getting going with spelling now.
Don't make too much of a big deal about this. She'll develop at her own pace. Learning is a journey and it should be enjoyable. Don't take the fun out of her writing.

mrz Tue 07-Feb-17 06:49:37

I think you are wrong

MsHoneyBee Tue 07-Feb-17 06:57:19

I agree that immediately correcting the spelling might put her off, however it is frustrating when the wrong spelling gets ingrained. Perhaps try and do a bit of spelling as a separate activity. Flashcards, playing 'snap' with the words, writing then in rainbow colours... Have a bit of fun with it. It is great that she's getting in to independent writing though. What spelling does she get home from school?

jessplussomeonenew Tue 07-Feb-17 09:23:03

I'd always start with engaging with the content of what she's written, maybe asking for clarification of words which it's hard to work out because of the spelling (e.g. do you mean with or which here?). Once you've done that you might be able to pick up a few spelling mistakes on passing but leave the focus on what she's writing for fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now