Talk

Advanced search

Primary teachers-is it possible some children just not ready to learn?

(5 Posts)
Laura0806 Sat 04-Feb-17 17:23:21

My son is 5, year 1 (summer baby) and just doesn't seem ready to learn, not just at school but with anything. His teacher recently told me he is behind -I think his reading is ok-blue/ green stickered books but he doesn't write a lot and does reception maths sheets. If I try and help him at home he just runs away. He will willingly read but as soon as it gets to a word that is tricky, rather than let me help, he just shouts-I'm not doing it. He does the same at out of school clubs-I stopped swimming lessons as he wouldn't listen. Just wondered how common it was-he seems quite switched and socially able but just no interest in working although very well behaved in the class (not at home!). I am trying not to worry that he is behind as he is only 5 but on the other hand I don't want for him to continue on this path.

irvineoneohone Sat 04-Feb-17 18:20:15

I am not a teacher, but I think some children are too young to engage with learning when they start school. One of my friend's son was totally uninterested in academics, especially reading, until he clicked in yr2. Now in yr4, I think he is in top group for literacy. He is still 5, don't worry, unless you suspect there are other concerns.

Writing gets easier with better fine motor skills, so you can focus on working(playing) with those skills.
This thread is very old, but has one of best MN teachers list on it, have a look, if you are interested. finemotorlist

For maths, this site has lots of great fun activity/game/ideas. EY
ks1

gillybeanz Sat 04-Feb-17 18:23:19

I'm a teacher but not this age so irrelevant.
However, I have a thirteen year old who has never settled to classroom teaching whatever school she has been at.
She doesn't see the point and no attempt at trying to make her see the importance has worked.
He may end up with education not being that important to him.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 04-Feb-17 18:57:52

My DS is August born and found Y1 really, really hard. Reception was fine but when the expectations ramped up in Y1 he struggled, then lost his confidence and basically 'gave up'. He didn't seem to be able to engage with anything in or out of school. We ended up putting him in for a big battery of cognitive assessments because he just didn't seem to be learning.

However, we then put in a LOT of work at home on his basics (writing and spelling mainly) over the summer holidays between Y1 and 2. I was able to do this confidently as I am a primary SEN teacher. He didn't enjoy it but he progressed absolutely miles in the 3 months he has off (prep school).

He went back into Y2 and it was a different story. The boost had helped him catch up enough for his confidence to return. That has fed a positive spiral where he now works really hard and is getting better and better all the time. He finished Y1 on green books and is now reading The Faraway Tree.

Definitely do not write your DS off as non-academic (we were on the points of doing that). I would recommend seeing if there are areas where extra support could be put in now to get him back on track.

Amaried Sat 04-Feb-17 19:16:49

Poor little fella, sounds like the transition has been tough for him. Here in Ireland he'd only be in reception .. some kids simply mature slower than others. I'd do as another poster suggested and work with him at home in a relaxed way to help him not fall too far behind .. he will get their in his own time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now