Talk

Advanced search

Maths expectations in Reception

(23 Posts)
TheDuchessOfKidderminster Fri 03-Feb-17 21:06:40

I'm pretty clued up on the literacy expectations for the EYFS stage but haven't really got all that much information about numeracy.

My son is in Reception and we've been doing quite a bit of work at home to support his literacy learning but only a small amount of maths work. He definitely needs support with this but I'm not sure what I should focus on in the first instance.

Is there a numeracy equivalent to the Letters and Sounds guidelines? Or, failing that, any suggestions for an alternative framework that I could work from would be helpful.

irvineoneohone Fri 03-Feb-17 21:10:10

I don't know about guidelines, but these are the things children in reception are doing.

uk.ixl.com/math/reception

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Fri 03-Feb-17 21:14:58

Thank you. He can do most of that I think (although it reminds me that I should teach him more about money). The work he's been set recently has been about addition and subtraction, so it's interesting that doesn't come up on IXL until Year 1.

irvineoneohone Fri 03-Feb-17 21:29:09

Great, sounds like he is doing great already.
I would recommend this site in that case. It's more of stretching side ways and deeper thinking kind of work/activities.

nrich.maths.org/early-years

irvineoneohone Fri 03-Feb-17 21:48:50

And this is for ks1.

nrich.maths.org/9077

frankiedog Fri 03-Feb-17 21:57:13

These things are a great start.

Counting to 100
Number bonds to ten ie 4 and 6 make 10
Counting money, but again don't worry too much, it's tricky, maybe counting pennies, perhaps exchanging for bigger coins, 2p 5p 10p. Not the £1 ie 100 pennies, it's too much!
Very simple multiplication 2x

Most of the above can be fun , just google number bonds to ten etc there are loads of songs, activities on line, my year one class love them !!

Above all demonstrate, and don't worry, maths can be used in everyday situations, if I have four apples in the fruit bowl and I eat one how many are left ?? That kind of thing.Do it all the time, you'd be amazed at how much maths we use !!

Oh yeah , and by year 4/5 we can tell those children who have never had their own pocket money. Even if you give a young child a money box and add a few pence here and there, 'can you do this and I'll give you 10p' and regular pocket money, not a lot, pennies, two p's , 5's and 10's, which you can initially help them count, it really works !!

Just use maths in your everyday language and simple games, you'll get to know where to 'pitch' it, make it fun!! And above all tell them why they have to do numeracy. It's fun , and' I need to know how much', 'what I have left' 'what do I need?', you'll enjoy it too !!

Hope this helps

Ferguson Sat 04-Feb-17 19:46:50

That's very useful information from frankiedog. I'll add my standard information as well:

Practical things are best for grasping number concepts - bricks, Lego, beads, counters, money, shapes, weights, measuring, cooking.

Do adding, taking away, multiplication (repeated addition), division (sharing), using REAL OBJECTS as just 'numbers' can be too abstract for some children.

Number Bonds of Ten forms the basis of much maths, so try to learn them. Using Lego or something similar, use a LOT of bricks (of just TWO colours, if you have enough) lay them out so the pattern can be seen of one colour INCREASING while the other colour DECREASES. Lay them down, or build up like steps.

So:
ten of one colour none of other
nine of one colour one of other
eight of one colour two of other
seven of one colour three of other
etc,
then of course, the sides are equal at 5 and 5; after which the colours 'swap over' as to increasing/decreasing.

To learn TABLES, do them in groups that have a relationship, thus:

x2, x4, x8

x3, x6, x12

5 and 10 are easy

7 and 9 are rather harder.

Starting with TWO times TABLE, I always say: "Imagine the class is lining up in pairs; each child will have a partner, if there is an EVEN number in the class. If one child is left without a partner, then the number is ODD, because an odd one is left out."

Use Lego bricks again, lay them out in a column of 2 wide to learn 2x table. Go half way down the column, and move half the bricks up, so that now the column is 4 bricks wide. That gives the start of 4x table.

Then do similar things with 3x and 6x.

With 5x, try and count in 'fives', and notice the relationship with 'ten' - they will alternate, ending in 5 then 10.

It is important to try and UNDERSTAND the relationships between numbers, and not just learn them 'by rote'.

An inexpensive solar powered calculator (no battery to run out!) can help learn tables by 'repeated addition'. So: enter 2+2 and press = to give 4. KEEP PRESSING = and it should add on 2 each time, giving 2 times table.

There are good web sites, which can be fun to use :

www.ictgames.com/

www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Woodlands%20Junior%20School&pid=1

EdenX Sat 04-Feb-17 19:57:15

By the end of reception they need to be able to count recognise numbers to 20, order and say one more and one less than a number to 20, and count objects accurately. They add and subtract single digit numbers (can use objects for this) and double and half. Know the names and properties or 2d and 3d shapes, create and describe patterns and compare objects by length, height and weight. Use everyday language of capacity, time and money - eg empty and full, they don't need to tell the time or recognise coins etc.

Monkeymonstermum Sat 04-Feb-17 23:14:14

Place marking - thank you! Really useful things here.

Narnia72 Sat 25-Feb-17 18:47:03

Thanks for this, it's really helpful. Placemarking for ideas to help son in reception

mrz Sat 25-Feb-17 18:58:25

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sites/brighton-hove.gov.uk/files/Mathematics%20Guidelines.pdf

mrz Sat 25-Feb-17 19:01:05

http://earlyyearsmaths.e2bn.org/resources.html

mrz Sat 25-Feb-17 19:01:54

Ferguson offers a very comprehensive list but you should be aware most of it doesn't apply to reception

mrz Sat 25-Feb-17 19:05:25

You should also be aware that Letters and Sounds isn't statutory and many schools choose to use high quality phonics programmes instead rather than those stupid phases

irvineoneohone Sat 25-Feb-17 19:27:53

This site has many useful free printable resources.(not just maths, check out others as well!)
Personally, I loved making 3d models with my ds. Good for recognising 3d shapes as well as good for fine motor development. (cutting, pasting)

www.senteacher.org/print/mathematics/

Mummymathsteacher Sun 26-Feb-17 10:59:06

There is a "Letters and Sounds" for maths called "Numbers and patterns". They were released together but so many people haven't heard of the latter

mrz Sun 26-Feb-17 11:19:21

http://childrens-mathematics.net/childrenthinkingmathematically_psrn.pdf

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 26-Feb-17 12:16:46

My son has hit expectations for this year but to extend teacher wanted us to do skip counting for 2s, 5s and 10s (to 100) and number bonds to 5 and 10.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 26-Feb-17 12:17:28

Oh and double and half upto 20

mrz Sun 26-Feb-17 13:12:10

What year group?

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 26-Feb-17 13:57:16

He's in reception

mrz Sun 26-Feb-17 13:59:29

Doubles and halves are reception expectations so I wonder if he was nursery thanks for clearing it up

sunita77 Sun 26-Feb-17 14:01:19

-

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now