Talk

Advanced search

Help! Yr 2 and teachers are concerned

(6 Posts)
Davinaaddict Fri 03-Feb-17 17:27:57

Really hoping someone else has been through something similar. My just turned 7yo seems to be having trouble at school and neither I nor the teachers know what to do to help him. He is a bright boy, who loves reading and is doing well verbally. When it comes to evidencing his knowledge on paper though, we just cannot get him to do it. If there is somebody with him to cajole him along, he's great, but left to his own devices, he just doesn't do it and spends all his time in his own little dream world. He doesn't disturb the other children or make a fuss, so his behaviour is fine, we just can't get him to actually write anything on his own! It's now at the point where if he writes 5 words in half an hour, then that's good. And this is in both English and maths, so it's not the subject either.

I'm really stuck with how we can help and encourage him as he's already falling behind in his marks because of this and I'd really like to help him before it becomes too much of an issue and he can't catch back up. Any suggestions??

TeenAndTween Fri 03-Feb-17 21:54:01

Any other issues eg with motor skills, puzzles?

Can he dictate what he wants to say?
Is he afraid to get it wrong?
If the writing is more structured (e.g. write about this, then this, then this) can he do it?

What does he say about it when you ask him?

What if he were given a timer - you have 1 minute to write a sentence / do the first question - would that focus his mind?

Davinaaddict Sat 04-Feb-17 08:41:40

No other issues with puzzles or motor skills. He's very articulate when talking and can easily say what he wants to say. That's part of the reason why the teachers are getting frustrated. They know that he knows the material, they just can't seem to get him to evidence it written down.

He's fine with homework as long as we chivvy him along 121. As soon as he's left to do it on his own, he just doesn't. And won't say why. He's very amenable, and we've tried everything that I can think of. Timers, specific tasks etc. Nothing seems to work though. Short of getting cross with him, which I won't do as it won't help I'm at a loss sad

TeenAndTween Sat 04-Feb-17 09:22:29

No idea then.

Maybe with homework have something he really wants to do lined up for afterwards. Then leave him in a room, check every 15 mins. If he chooses to take 3hrs over a 20min h/w that's his look out. Shame if he doesn't get to do treat afterwards if too much time lost? (Only if you think he can but doesn't).

Does he show lack of focus/attention in other things?

Or to break cycle, he dictates to you, you write it down. then you dictate back and he writes it down for himself. (I have done this with both my DDs but that is because they have SpLD).

PinkFluffiUnicorn Sat 04-Feb-17 09:48:46

Would you be able to as for an occupation therapist? I did through the school. My ds has a bunch of other issues but a tilted writing area, like a ring binder, but sturdier and that made a huge difference to him being able to write.

Davinaaddict Sat 04-Feb-17 11:19:49

We've tried the treat thing and no joy so far, but maybe we just need to persevere. He's very capable, he'd just rather daydream, unless we literally talk him through doing it. We're not doing it for him, he does all the work and clearly knows what he's doing and gives us all the right answers. He just won't do it when left to his own devises. It's not just school work either, he does it when he's getting ready for school etc.

I don't know whether we just need to teach him how to focus, but I don't really know about how to do it. I don't know whether occupational health would help us, because it's not help he needs with being able to do it, but we could ask smile

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now