Talk

Advanced search

do quiet children get a fair deal in school?

(8 Posts)
hatwoman Mon 26-Feb-07 20:42:35

forgive me for starting two threads, but this follow question just occured to me. Do the quiet kids get their fair share of attention? do the teachers get to know them? do the teachers realise that quiet does not always equal contented and well-behaved? is it reasonable (genuine question) to think teachers might work a bit harder to get to know them?

KathG Mon 26-Feb-07 22:03:47

Depends on the teacher and size of class but it sounds as if our DDs could be friends!

SparklePrincess Tue 27-Feb-07 14:37:13

In my experience the answer is a very loud NO! unfortunately. The quiet ones are often overlooked Your dd sounds like my dd too.

Troutpout Tue 27-Feb-07 14:48:37

NO
and it makes my farking blood boil

marthamoo Tue 27-Feb-07 14:52:20

Got to go to school, hatwoman - but this is my thread from last week.

puffling Tue 27-Feb-07 19:35:58

If it's a rough secondary school, they will often be overlooked as the loud naughty ones are so demanding, but s someone else says, it depends on the teacher, class size etc.

noonar Tue 27-Feb-07 19:45:46

hmm, this works both ways...speaking as a teacher with a few attention seeking 10 yr olds in her class, your child's teacher will very likely be just as resentful of any children who monopolise their time and attention as you are!

the quiet children can be difficult to get to know, but its not always as simple as 'working a bit harder'. it takes time to build trust and rapport- on both sides, not just a question of effort on the teacher's part.

also, when you have 30 plus children in your class,vying for attention, its inevitable that the children who participate in class and are more vocal will give the teacher a sense of 'who they are'more quickly.

the quiet ones have so much to give, i wish they would speak up a little more!

hatwoman Tue 27-Feb-07 20:17:31

lots of similarities on taht thread marthamoo. dd too got such a bland report - she too is a bright little thing - in the top group etc, but quiet and definitely drifting. dh can get her so fired up - he got her drawing graphs (ie the idea of x=y)the other day and using graphs to draw shapes - she was so excited by it all. it makes me sad to think of her not getting this at school.she cried at her report - she was really upset and said teh teacher was a "big fat liar" and she was going to tell her. I suggested that this might not be such a good idea...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now