Talk

Advanced search

Maths activities for year 5

(8 Posts)
PepeLePew Fri 03-Feb-17 08:08:13

What's out there? ds has suddenly blossomed at school after struggling with undiagnosed SEN for years. It turns out he's very good at, and very interested in, maths and I'm looking for ways to keep him stretched and engaged. The school is good at giving him harder work in class and I don't want to replicate that so was thinking about more lateral ways of supporting him. He loves the Murderous Maths series and has read them all many times so anything like that would be good. Someone suggested a tutor but I don't think he needs more school-type stuff just someone to show him cool stuff and inspire him a bit and I've no idea where you go for that sort of thing.

cantkeepawayforever Fri 03-Feb-17 08:13:33

nrich
nrich.maths.org/frontpage

If any of these are near you, if you can get onto one, they can be great:

www.rigb.org/education/masterclasses/our-networks/primary-network I don't know if you have to be nominated by the school - DD did the secondary version via her school, don't know howe the primary process works.

cantkeepawayforever Fri 03-Feb-17 08:24:42

He may already use these activities in school, but they can be fun

www.stem.org.uk/elibrary/resource/29243

I also use various old-fashioned puzzle books, like the Puffin book of Brainteasers, that i had as a child.

cantkeepawayforever Fri 03-Feb-17 08:30:07

Apologies for multiple posts - if the school is supportive, then find out if they are linked to their local Maths Hub
www.mathshubs.org.uk/find-your-hub/

as IME the Hub will sometimes run or sponsor or facilitate maths challenge events for more able mathematicians from different schools.

irvineoneohone Fri 03-Feb-17 08:38:36

Second the recommendation of nrich and also sister site wildmaths as well.

If he loves maths, he may love learning coding and musical instruments too.

PepeLePew Sat 04-Feb-17 10:38:45

These are so helpful, thank you. We've had a play with nrich and I will look at the Royal Institution more carefully. I did a course there aged about 14 and loved it.

Any books like Murderous Maths he might like? The brainteaser idea is a good one - he likes logic puzzles.

I don't think he has a musical bone in his body but he has gone off on a coding day today so we may look at how to follow up on that.

irvineoneohone Sat 04-Feb-17 10:51:39

This course is great. And free. Teaches js, html, css, sql and jQuery.

programming

Also scratch this is more of block programming.

PepeLePew Tue 07-Feb-17 21:34:31

Coding day was a big success and he's been playing around with Lightbot since then. So we will follow up that and check out the other links too. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now