Talk

Advanced search

Help! I need a work placement asap for my college course.

(16 Posts)
chuffinalong Thu 02-Feb-17 18:46:44

Hi, I've just started a diploma to become a TA. I t was a very last minute decision. I need a 2 day a week work placement, so I've emailed 6 schools. I haven't heard back from any of them yet. sad
My tutor told me to go to the schools and enquire. I'm going to try this tomorrow, but I'd be very surprised if I'd get passed the receptionists. I can't see them letting me in to talk to anyone. I don't want to seem pushy, but I've been told that schools need to be chased up when it comes to these things... How long do schools usually take to respond? and do you think going along would help?
Thank you

chuffinalong Thu 02-Feb-17 19:13:17

bump

uncoolnn Thu 02-Feb-17 19:16:05

I did a couple of placements in schools during my uni degree. I found schools really difficult to arrange anything with over the phone, none of them ever really got back to me. I had much better luck in person, maybe because you're there in person so they can't put the phone down and brush it under the carpet so to speak.

Good luck!

daisygirlmac Thu 02-Feb-17 19:20:55

Think about who you know, my sister has done the same and one of my friends got her into the school she works at. Do you know anyone who works in a school in any capacity who could open the door for you a bit? Even if they aren't teachers, cleaners, mid day assistants, governors? Anyone on a PTA? Do you know anyone with kids who could tell you who to speak to in their school?

SallyGinnamon Thu 02-Feb-17 19:22:35

I went to my DC's school in a different class.

PurpleTygrrr Thu 02-Feb-17 19:24:55

Hi
I'm a primary teacher and we welcome students as the extra help is very helpful! I would go on all the school websites in your local area and get the emails of the heads and then email them. We get asked on staff meetings if we're willing to take a student to help out and it's usual a resounding yes unless we have lots of students already currently helping. We always have a least one in school on a weekly basis! smile

rollonthesummer Thu 02-Feb-17 19:24:58

I wouldn't email or go in, I'd probably phone and ask if it was possible to speak to the person who organises students/college placements. Then they can ring you back at a convenient time. In my school, it's the deputy head who teaches full time.

chuffinalong Thu 02-Feb-17 19:31:38

Thanks everyone. The teacher said that if I go in, they can see instantly who is applying. She said I presented well, which made me smile She said that it can be a bit daunting receiving an email from someone you know nothing about. I can see her point...

LIZS Thu 02-Feb-17 19:32:42

2 days a week s quite an ask. Have you any contacts who either work or volunteer? Would a playgroup or children's centre be appropriate? Agree a job such as lunchtime supervisor or in an after school club might open doors. You'd need a dbs in place too , before you can start.

chuffinalong Thu 02-Feb-17 19:35:20

I was really hoping to go to my daughters old school. It was such a lovely school and I got on well with all the teachers. On my DD's last day, I bought a big cake for the staff room and the head jokingly asked me if I wanted a job there. I said that I'm considering being a TA, so she seemed really keen and told me to let her know. I did e-mail her, a week ago...

chuffinalong Thu 02-Feb-17 19:38:14

Thank you LIZS, I have a DBS, but I've applied for a new one. In that case, should I ask for 1 day a week in two different schools?

BackforGood Thu 02-Feb-17 19:45:09

Schools are bombarded with e-mails. Go in - especially the one where they might recognise / remember you.

LIZS Thu 02-Feb-17 19:45:34

Its up to you. Ask what they can offer. Maybe chase at half term (week after next) as it won't be priority for them to respond at the moment.

chuffinalong Thu 02-Feb-17 19:52:22

Ok, thanks everyone. smile

jamdonut Sat 04-Feb-17 13:20:12

2 days a week...That's about 10 hours, which I had to do for my NVQ, 8 years ago.

I think you need to go and ask , personally.

I got mine because I had done a 'helping in schools ' course, previously, also, it was my children's school. The Head said " The more, the merrier", when she agreed!
I've been there ever since!

RupertsMum2 Sat 04-Feb-17 20:56:16

Our school has lots of volunteers, trainee teachers and people doing work experience. They do a lot of extra curricular activities so help is always needed. I would go in and see the schools personally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: