Talk

Advanced search

Richmond or Shep. Bush? Expat family moving back.

(12 Posts)
user1476272603 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:40:46

Totally different areas I know but one is super close to work and L life and the other is calm green and nice for the kids after free and open Spain, but I'm concerned on being far out unreachable and oversubscribed schools...is it reAlly th t snobbish? Is Shep. B really full of the ice and tramps (quoting someone here haha). I've been recommended Shep. B for its growing community of families and it sound like a preferred mix of backgrounds but fear it may be super urban for my kids, they never even been to the UK. Another Q is: if we haven't got address in the area how can we apply? they would be in L after they finish Spanish last term 23rd June but I don't want them to start in L until September, is that OK? So it wouldn't be an in term applications. Help! grin

Mary21 Thu 02-Feb-17 13:06:33

How old are your children? Richmond is a good area for families, its expensive but has the benefit of Richmond park, river, tube to London and good primary schools. The primary schools are over subscribed but there is often movement. The local education authority has to find your children school places but they don't have to be at your local school and they don't have to be at the same school for all 3kids. Secondary Christs, greycourt, Orleans park and Waldegrave are all good or very good schools. Richmond Park Academy is still trying to shake of its old bad image.
There is also a Spanish school near portobello road that some children from Richmond go to.
If you apply as soon as you arrive and places are offered straight away it's worth accepting them. It will give your children a chance to meet other children for the holidays. I think if you are offered places in the last 2-3 weeks of term you can accept them and defer till September. Some schools won't know what places they have till September as they don't always know till the kids don't return from the summer.
Don't know Sheperton so well

Mary21 Thu 02-Feb-17 13:09:10

Sorry mis read Shepherd's Bush not shepperton duh. Don't know Shepherd's Bush as an area to live in .

Mamabear12 Thu 02-Feb-17 13:55:51

I lived in Richmond and its absolutely wonderful! Great place to raise kids. ESP if u go outside a lot. The park is great! Beautiful there. But some people aren't big on parks. Really depends what your family likes.

KatyBerry Thu 02-Feb-17 14:00:28

there's Shepherd's Bush and there's Shepherd's Bush. Some of it is bloody awful yet remarkably expensive, and small pockets are perfectly nice and very expensive. It's very urban and very polluted.
Richmond is very expensive but really quite lovely. NB it has quite significant aeroplane noise (but I'd take that over the sound of sirens around SheBu).
Unless you're calling Brook Green or Brackenbury village Shepherds BUsh, i'd avoid it as far as possible (ex resident of SB, with parent living in Richmond!)

RoccoW14 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:33:31

Brook Green is great.. it's near to Shepherds Bush and Hammersmith. As well as the green itself, it's also a relatively short walk to Holland Park.

SuperSheepdog Thu 02-Feb-17 20:10:43

What about North Kingston? A bit cheaper than Richmond but also very family orientated and excellent schools.

bojorojo Tue 07-Feb-17 20:07:24

Outdated Views on Shepherds Bush on here! There are lots of families moving in! It is cheaper than some areas and has Ravenscourt Park off the Goldhawk Road. Brackenbury Village is more desirable but She Bu is on the rise especially around Askew Road up to about St Stephens. Good primary schools too.

MMmomDD Tue 07-Feb-17 23:37:19

And - if you want closer to london, Chiswick - has more space, and is only a little further than Shepherd's Bush

bojorojo Wed 08-Feb-17 16:15:01

Just way more expensive!!!

MMmomDD Wed 08-Feb-17 18:35:22

But comparable to Richmond

hibbledobble Thu 09-Feb-17 12:29:43

Shepherds Bush is rather edgy, with problems with a lot of street drinking and drug taking. Not an ideal family area, but you are right it is central!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: