Talk

Advanced search

7yr old doesnt seem to be progressing

(9 Posts)
whowouldknow Tue 31-Jan-17 21:06:32

Meeting with teachers son - suggested that in the next few years they might have to refer him to SEN. I don't really understand why they don't do this now? She has admitted that his progress is slow and I get the impression he is at the bottom of the class-would it not be better to get him help now? I don't like the idea of delaying this?

But maybe there is a reason? I know I should have asked but I was a bit annoyed-hate to think he struggling

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 01-Feb-17 00:14:49

Refer through the gp yourself. It's faster and you regain the control.

whowouldknow Wed 01-Feb-17 13:23:04

But I don't really know what I'm refering.

He is bright, caring, interested, involved etc etc - he just seems to struggle with it on paper

ExploreLearningLeamington Wed 01-Feb-17 13:35:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ginmummy1 Wed 01-Feb-17 13:55:09

The post from ExploreLearningLeamington reads like an advertisement. Not sure if that's allowed on here.

Is he in Y2 or Y3? (wondering about SATs results)

I agree with you that saying he might need help in a few years is not very helpful!

I'd ask for another meeting with the school, with teacher and someone else (their SENCO?) to go into some more detail. I'd be asking what they think the specific problem areas are, what have tried already, how much progress he's made so far year on year.

whowouldknow Wed 01-Feb-17 15:49:20

Thanks ginmummy. I didn't see the previous message before it was deleted. I am friendly with the vice principle (have been for years but not very close iykwim). I'm tempted to have a chat to him but I don't want to go above the teachers head as she is lovely and very approachable-but I'll just not sure she is demanding enough.

I might contact him informally see what he recommends.

Y3-haven't been told any SAT results. Not sure if they used here. he is not being compared to his peers as he is doing work of a lower level so hard to know how far behind he is.

bojorojo Wed 01-Feb-17 16:54:04

May I ask - where is here? Is it a private school, or abroad? They may delay giving help because they do not want to pay for it. If there are no SATS, do the teachers give you regular progress reports? What curriculum do they use and how do you know he is not doing the same work as the others? Are they taking him out and teaching him separately? They should have a teacher who knows about help for children with special needs. Sometimes, this help is a boost and they should making sure your child is taught with his peers, not separately. The work is just made a bit easier for them, but it is the same work if at all possible.

The school possibly finds it easier to teach him easier concepts than the other children. He should be doing the same topics, but not in the same depth if he cannot manage it. Is it a writing problem if he is not getting the work down in his books? Is he struggling with numbers? Can he not do the maths? I would find out exactly what the teacher thinks the problem is and then ask for him to have help in class as soon as possible. I would not want him separated or doing a separate curriculum. Ask if he can have help in class to assist with getting his work into his exercise book. I would see the VP as you have already seen the teacher and ask to see the SEN Co-ordinator as well to go through what can be put in place.

whowouldknow Wed 01-Feb-17 17:56:55

Thanks bojorojo

He is still in the class but is working at a different level along with a small group to have him extra time to get the concepts. For example, the rest of the class are moving on to higher numbers but this group are working on the same concepts using smaller numbers. I get that - cement the concepts but I just wonder if he should be getting help now rather than waiting.

There is no mention of SEN on the school website-I think I will go to the VP -even just to find the school policy /process.

Thanks for the replies -hoping to get some sleep tonight hmm

TwentyChews Wed 01-Feb-17 22:05:51

There should be something on the website! Are you in the UK?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now