Talk

Advanced search

Mind-sets for learning

(7 Posts)
EilidhCK Tue 31-Jan-17 10:41:07

Hi,

I am an Edinburgh University honours student, looking to explore how mind-sets and how the mind-sets of parents influence the mind-sets of their children.

A mind-set is an implicit attitude. People hold mind-sets about all kinds of things, this study will specifically look at mind-sets related to intelligence and failure.

An intelligence mind-set is the implicit attitude held towards intelligence – generally whether you think that you have a fixed, unchangeable amount of intelligence, or whether you believe that intelligence is something which can change and increase.

A failure mind-set is the implicit attitudes held towards failure – this represents attitudes about whether you consider failure to always be a negative thing, or whether you think it can sometimes be positive and help you to learn.

The research aim of this study is to show that children are more aware of their parents failure mind-set than they are of their intelligence mind-set.

It would be so helpful to me if anyone was willing to participate in my study - I would be happy to provide general feedback on mind-sets, and also answer any questions about mind-set research.

The study is fully approved by the University of Edinburgh Ethics Board.

I have included the link below,

subjectpool.com/quest/meta/Y42016_Kirkpatrick_DweckOnlineMumKid.php

Thanks for reading my post and hopefully for considering participating in my study! smile

Eilidh

user1485861347 Tue 31-Jan-17 11:26:49

Hi, happy to do this but apparently I need a user ID

Ginmummy1 Tue 31-Jan-17 12:17:07

Yes - it says this:

"Please enter the ID assigned to you (Most likely your contact email: If you are an Edinburgh student, you might have been asked to use your matric number):"

EilidhCK Tue 31-Jan-17 13:18:36

Hi guys,

Thanks so much!

I should have explained this before, if you either enter your email or MUMSNET and then your initials that could be great!

The results will still be anonymous, it's just to identify how many responses I receive from different sources

Thanks again!

Eilidh

TeenAndTween Tue 31-Jan-17 13:45:52

I may be being picky here but:

The research aim of this study is to show that children are more aware of their parents failure mind-set than they are of their intelligence mind-set.

Surely it should be to see whether children are more aware of one mind set over the other? It doesn't seem like an unbiased aim to me.

EilidhCK Tue 31-Jan-17 14:12:47

Hi TeenAndTween,

It's replicating another study which did show that children were more aware of their parents failure mind-set, so we are trying to see if we can get the same result.

The initial paper is 'what predicts children's fixed and growth mine-sets? Not their parent's views or intelligence but their parents views of failure' by Haimovitz and Dweck (2016) - if you are interested in having a look. Specifically, this experiment is a replication of section 3(a) smile

Eilidh

TeenAndTween Tue 31-Jan-17 15:14:08

I've read Dweck's book.
Still slightly surprised that you are trying to get the same result, rather than do your own study to see whether you get the same result, but maybe that's how things are done, I'm not a researcher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now