Talk

Advanced search

Into Prep School - Dorset, Wiltshire

(8 Posts)
FamilyMove2017 Tue 31-Jan-17 10:06:01

Hi All

Due to work commitments the family are moving in the summer and our DS are already looking forward to the idea of boarding at prep school.

That said the choice is fairly endless and the more you see and the more you ask the more challenging the downselect becomes!

Any recent comments on the following schools would be really appreciated:

Hazelgrove
Port Regis
Forres Sandle Manor
Sandroyd

Both DS are outdoors'y, sporty and academically ok in a really good village primary we will be sad to leave.

Thanks confused

Blewitt Tue 31-Jan-17 12:38:43

Hi Family
I can highly recommend FSM. It is a small caring school that nurtures individuality. There is something for everyone, they find a childs talents and really help to develop them. Sport is important but not so much so that the children who are less able feel left out, very inclusive and the music department is brilliant. I would say it is very outdoorsy, lots of space to roam at break times and good forest school provision until about yr 5 There is a real family atmosphere throughout the school for both day and boarders. The boarders love it and have masses and masses of fun! How old will your boys be?

FamilyMove2017 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:52:11

Hi Blewitt

Thanks for the comments. The boys will be 8 and 10 so years 4 and 6 come Sept.

FM2017 smile

Blewitt Tue 31-Jan-17 22:55:17

You're welcome. The other thing I'd say is there are more boarders then day further up the school, yr 5 on in my experience, which is good for boarders. Good luck!

beboo Sat 11-Feb-17 17:55:09

Hi Family!
Another vote for FSM! All 3 DC boarded there (DS2 still there) and loved it and it set DD and DS1 up brilliantly for senior school. All 3 stretched academically, great Forest School, sport every day except Thursday (U13 boys have just won the County Hockey Tournament). Great music and drama too (DD got Music/Drama All Rounder scholarship to senior school).
For us, the most important thing was that they weren't going to be on their own at weekends (took DD out of her previous prep school as she often was the only girl in her Year that was in at the weekend) and there are usually around 50 or more every weekend (and not all overseas boarders either!) and over 100 boarders during the week. Lovely family atmosphere in the boarding house.
Definitely recommend going to see it!
Good luck with the search, x

EFc1234 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:24:40

Glad found this thread as We’ve been looking at schools in the South West too, for when we leave London in the next few years. Have you looked at Perrott Hill? Right on the Somerset/Dorset border. I might be biased as my friend works there, but we really loved it – felt smaller and more family oriented than the others. They have a Facebook page to that you can check out. Day and boarding options available.

WhereamInow Thu 09-Mar-17 15:56:20

My 2 are at Port Regis and absolutely love it.

However I will say that all the schools you have mentioned are good and offer slightly different things, all I can advise you to do is to visit each one and see which one you feel your children would fit into best.

For sports I'd say Port Regis or Hazelgrove offer more opportunities, but FSM and Sandroyd have a smaller feel to them. I do think that which ever one you choose you will find a difference in your children. I certainly did sending mine from an excellent village primary too.

Schoolsearch2015 Tue 19-Sep-17 17:07:50

You my have already made your selection but I know people sometimes read these posts when trying to find out about schools. My son started at Port Regis in Sept 2016 and he couldn't be happier. Nor could we. He settled in instantly. He's a boarder. Teachers are amazing, they have a really good "tutor" system and the tutor helps them with all aspects of school life, AMAZING facilities (way beyond what most prep schools have, and even a lot of senior schools), beautiful grounds, well maintained buildings, loads of really interesting extra curricular activities. Not snobby at all, warm, caring, friendly, atmosphere and kids just look generally happy. The newish headmaster is great and seems popular and is VERY involved in the day to day runnings of the school, gets his hands dirty so to speak. Real mix of boarding, day, international - very inclusive. Everyone can play for sports teams if they want to. My son just loves how much "outdoors" time he gets - so much space to play, lots of sport if you want to do it - he's in heaven from that point of view. Really happy with our choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now