Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What are the standard reading books for YR?

(8 Posts)
Ponderingprivately Sun 29-Jan-17 09:32:04

DD is recently 4, she is enjoying learning her letters, has most of them cracked and loves making words out of the letters she has with her Orchard Games Alphabet Lotto letters. Today she made and then read words like 'rat' and 'cat' and 'cot'. She has asked me to 'buy her a book that she can try and read' which I'm happy to do if she wants, but not sure what the right sort of book to get her is? What is the scheme that they use when they get to school?
For information, she is currently at Kindergarten in Singapore where they are very keen to get them reading which is why I think she's so interested, but we are moving back to the UK in February.

mrz Sun 29-Jan-17 09:37:53

There aren't any

MrsKCastle Sun 29-Jan-17 09:39:40

There are no standard books, but a good start for parents is the 'Songbirds' books by Julia Donaldson, they are available cheaply from the book people.

mrz Sun 29-Jan-17 09:40:15

Sorry posted too soon

There aren't any standard books. Schools use a huge variety of texts. Personally I'd recommend Dandelion Launchers from Phonic books available as paper or iBooks

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 29-Jan-17 12:11:28

Ours uses the ORT read at home books may stay but these aren't really phonetic above two. I'd go songbirds from bookpeople but heard bob books are good too.

Prettybaffled Sun 29-Jan-17 13:21:06

You could go to the Oxford Owl site - they have 250 free e books using phonics if you register and can start at the very initial ones e.g. One or two words or page and move on from there

catkind Sun 29-Jan-17 16:47:06

Second the Songbirds recommendation, DD learned to read from those, and they were a very helpful supplement to school books for DS.

Ponderingprivately Mon 30-Jan-17 00:23:24

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I'll look into these and pick her something up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now