Talk

Advanced search

Benefits of GDST

(4 Posts)
LondonMum8 Sat 28-Jan-17 22:32:58

What are the concrete benefits confered to pupils by school's membership in GDST. From what I've gathered so far they organise some interschool events such as a maths competition. On the flipside, any actual downsides to the GDST brand (e.g. more bureaucracy/less flexibility)?

NancyJoan Thu 02-Feb-17 15:01:47

My daughter is at a GDST school, not a London one, I also worked there before I had DS. As far as I can tell, the school is very much autonomous in terms of day to day running, the major benefits are financial. Being part of a large trust gives them access to funding for big spend projects that they might otherwise not be able to afford.

Also, the GDST has a huge alumni network, which means they have contacts in every industry and field you can imagine, which can be very useful when they get to 16+ and are looking for mentors etc.

I certainly don't think it's a reason to discount a school.

CruCru Thu 02-Feb-17 18:22:17

Don't GDST schools also tend to be a bit cheaper? I'm sure that Brighton and Hove High School was much cheaper than Brighton College (although this was back in the day - may have changed).

wickerlampshade Thu 02-Feb-17 20:06:32

yes, usually a little cheaper
The GDST funded the whole cost of South Hampstead's swanky new building

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now