Talk

Advanced search

Schemes for reading?????

(9 Posts)
lemonysnickett Sun 25-Feb-07 20:09:28

My daughters school does not have a reading scheme eg ORT, instead, the headteacher says they have a scheme for reading....has anyone else heard of this?

bigcar Mon 26-Feb-07 14:57:05

My dcs primary school does something similar. They use reading books from lots of different schemes, which somebody in the school colour codes, the kids then are given a colour to choose books from. In effect it works the same as a normal reading scheme, but with more variety, and the emphasis is on the kids to choose the books. It does seem to work.

marialuisa Mon 26-Feb-07 15:26:36

DD's school does the same as bigcar's school. Seems to work relly well. Freaks out competitive mums as different levels from the same scheme can be in the same "school level", e.g. ORT 8 and ORT 11 books are all in the orange and black band.

fannyannie Mon 26-Feb-07 15:31:44

ours does similar - they have books from lots of different reading schemes and gives the scheme best suited to each child - DS1 is currently working his way through the Storyworld books - while his best friend is using ORT.

whatkatydidntdo Mon 26-Feb-07 15:34:55

We have 2 systems running, one was described by bigcar this is for the children to take home to read with parent/carer and a seperate one which is all one reading scheme (sorry cant remember the name) this is for reading in school to the teacher/ta/helper etc

Hulababy Mon 26-Feb-07 15:36:46

DD's school uses books from different schemes. have been using Ladybird, ORT and some New Zealnd books so far. Someone has decided which order they do them in though, and they all follow the same order/scheme from what I can gather. Doing ORT at moment and not overly convinced by it right now.

foxybrown Mon 26-Feb-07 15:37:56

Our primary uses the Ruth Miskin scheme. Its very popular with the parents. My DS in Reception has grasped it well, and even I am surprised by how well he can read.

LIZS Mon 26-Feb-07 15:46:55

dd has a mixture of ORT, Rigby, Oxford Literacy and occasional Ginn books. They have by the school all been organised into a rough system so that the difficulty is reasonably consistent but offers variety of reading and skills. At her level there are some chapter books, non fiction, stories , fairy tales, plays and poems. Seems to work ok to maintain her interest although we never did get to read the entire Magic Key saga

lexcat Mon 26-Feb-07 16:47:46

My dd has colour bands too. I also know of four other schools in the area which also have the colour bands. It great in the fact their are a real mix of books on each level from lots of different read schemes.
The only thing they all start pink, red, yellow, ect but near the end our school goes purple gold white. I have hear of black silver and lime aslo been talked of. So they do seem to be a little different from school to school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now