Talk

Advanced search

Debating to enrol DS in fully french or bilingual class

(7 Posts)
Mamabear12 Thu 26-Jan-17 14:39:05

I posted this on Bilingual section but it's so slow to get responses if at all! Anyone have thoughts?

Basically, we are an English speaking family, who want our kids to be bilingual. I am learning French as my kids learn, but it is no where near as fast or as good as my eldest daughter who we have been focusing on. She is now almost 5. My son is 3 and we are due to enrol him to the school for sept 17 start. My question is whether I should enrol first in fully french side verses the bilingual side. The reason is because we are not French speakers, and he gets enough English, I think getting more French would be better for his learning. His sister is in the bilingual stream though, but she also seems to learn languages more at east then her brother. Any opinions?

irvineoneohone Thu 26-Jan-17 14:57:08

Have no experience, but only thing I would worry is that if your ds needed any help for school work etc, can you/someone help him?

I am non native English speaker and sometimes I to help my ds due to my lack of English ability, so just a thought.

irvineoneohone Thu 26-Jan-17 14:57:59

*struggle to help

Mamabear12 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:54:46

We have a French nanny part time to help with homework, and I am learning French and also use google translate ;) Plus kids are enrolled in after school French club and home work clubs, so they will be okay. Its not really a question of whether we can help with homework, because in the bilingual section they get lots of french work as well. I am committed. My daughter is only 4 and she has already had to present in front of the class in French a project we did over the weekend. Basically, its the one where you bring a bear home and take pics of your activities and print out in a book. So we did this and I wrote out the phrases (because she is 4 and can't write sentences yet) and had my daughter practice and she also practiced with the nanny. Her teacher said she as proud and my daughter spoke in French for the presentation. She has also had show and tell in French and gets French vocab every week to learn, french songs and story books. We are fully prepared. My question is whether it would be better for my son to do fully French for now so he can get more French exposure and learn the language faster. He will only be 3 and I doubt they will give much French homework other then what my daughter gets now.

Ellle Thu 26-Jan-17 19:18:52

In that case, I think going fully French is the best option, as your home language is English. That way your son will get more from the experience, and it will be easier for him to become bilingual.

We did it the other way around. We chose to speak a different language as the home language and the school is all in English. Both children learnt English at school/nursery with no problems.

Mamabear12 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:24:05

Elle, that is what I'm thinking. He gets English from home so it might make his learning french easier if his schooling is all in french. At least for a year or two. And I can help him learn to read English. If I knew another language I would have done it what u did and taught the language at home and let the community teach the English. But I only speak English. I am learning french, but feel I'll never be fluent. But learning it at least so I can understand what kids are saying and learning.

irvineoneohone Thu 26-Jan-17 20:46:35

Yeah, that sounds like a very ideal environment. Totally French is the way I think. Sounds fantastic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now