Talk

Advanced search

Summer born babies, deferring to get on waiting list?

(6 Posts)
Eesha Wed 25-Jan-17 15:02:08

Hi,

Just wondering, ideally I'd be thinking to defer my children's entrance to reception if possible as born in August. However, could I potentially get on a waiting list for oversubscribed schools in area and then maybe start them mid year if something becomes available? Is this allowed?

bojorojo Wed 25-Jan-17 17:18:17

I think you could, but why would any place come up mid year at over-subscribed schools and why would you get it if it did? You would have to be number one on the list and there would not have to be anyone living nearer, or meeting other admission criteria, for you to get a place above them. It is a bit risky. I assume your catchment school is not over-subscribed.

Caroian Wed 25-Jan-17 20:18:34

You can accept the allocated place and then still start them mid year. You are within your rights to accept the place and then choose to start in, say January, or some other point. I'm not an expert, but there are several on here who have offered advice on this previously. It takes the uncertainty of waiting for a place via a waiting list - which is very uncertain indeed.

CripsSandwiches Wed 25-Jan-17 20:28:06

You can apply for a school place making it clear you want them to start the following year instead. If it is accepted you then lose your place at the school and will need to reapply the following year and take your chances. Alternatively you can accept a place in the school year within their default cohort and start them part time or a term or two later. If during this time a place becomes available at a better school you could start them there instead.

What you can't do is have two bites of the apple in terms of applications. Either you want them to start a year later because they're not ready or you feel they are ready and you send them. If you're interested look at the Facebook group "flexible admissions for summer born children".

Eesha Wed 25-Jan-17 22:19:48

Hi,

Thanks for that, sounds like I can't take advantage and apply twice. Basically the schools near me are in special measures and I'd love for my two to get into a school slightly further but we are out of catchment. This is all a long way off but as I've been obsessing, I'm just trying to look at options. A friend got her choice in Jan but she was on the edge of the catchment. I thought maybe to see whether I could do it but sounds a lot of uncertainty. If I don't get any school I want, what would be the options? Is it then private but could I then stay on a waiting list for future years?

Will take a look at the facebook link, thank you!

bojorojo Thu 26-Jan-17 14:43:55

If you do not get the schools you want then private is an option. Many private schools put children down a year without many questions asked. You can stay on any wait list you want but you have to give a term's notice at a private school or pay the fees for the term in lieu of notice. With twins that is expensive. You may not want to swap and change anyway as that can be disruptive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now