Talk

Advanced search

Manchester Grammar School - any tips for assessment day year 3

(7 Posts)
cdfmum Wed 25-Jan-17 14:28:48

Hello, does anyone have any tips/suggestions to prepare my boy for the year 3 assessment at MGS? They suggest not to tutor your son, but I know that loads of kids who got in have been tutored (which is something we don't want to do). I know it's a full day during which boys are assessed for their potential rather than for what they already know and that they teach them brief lessons and than they test them to see how much they have retained? And I've heard kids are asked to write an essay/paper and work on team projects? Does anyone have any more specific examples? Like, what kind of topics they cover for maths or what kind of papers they ask the kids to write? Anything would help. Thanks!

wangxiaosara Wed 25-Jan-17 18:02:11

Hi, my DS was in the assessment day for year 3 entry last month and we've received a rejection letter last Saturday. We did not prepare my DS as we did not want to put too much pressure on him. He seems had a fun day there, the day lasts about 4 hours. Boys were assessed throughout activities covers reading, spelling, writing, comprehension and time tables etc. My DS did not say much after the day, there was a short report along with the result includes these areas. Hope this helps, good luck to your DS.

Draylon Wed 25-Jan-17 23:51:14

Don't grammar schools start aged 11+??

cdfmum Thu 26-Jan-17 05:10:47

Thank you, it helps a lot!

cdfmum Thu 26-Jan-17 05:12:42

Mgs has first intake in year 3. It's a private grammar school, maybe that's why I take is earlier than other grammar school? Not sure though.

cdfmum Thu 26-Jan-17 05:13:33

Did you try anywhere else? Cheadle?

wangxiaosara Thu 26-Jan-17 05:47:00

No, we only entered him (7years old ds2) for the MGS as my DS1 did 11 plus this year and he passed all the grammar schools in Trafford. Ds1 also sat for the MGS, he has really good chance to pass, so we thought it would be nice to have both of them in the same school. We will find out the result for ds1 next month, if he passed, then we have to choose between the MGS and AGSB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now