Talk

Advanced search

Manchester Grammar School - any tips for assessment day year 3

(20 Posts)
cdfmum Wed 25-Jan-17 14:28:48

Hello, does anyone have any tips/suggestions to prepare my boy for the year 3 assessment at MGS? They suggest not to tutor your son, but I know that loads of kids who got in have been tutored (which is something we don't want to do). I know it's a full day during which boys are assessed for their potential rather than for what they already know and that they teach them brief lessons and than they test them to see how much they have retained? And I've heard kids are asked to write an essay/paper and work on team projects? Does anyone have any more specific examples? Like, what kind of topics they cover for maths or what kind of papers they ask the kids to write? Anything would help. Thanks!

wangxiaosara Wed 25-Jan-17 18:02:11

Hi, my DS was in the assessment day for year 3 entry last month and we've received a rejection letter last Saturday. We did not prepare my DS as we did not want to put too much pressure on him. He seems had a fun day there, the day lasts about 4 hours. Boys were assessed throughout activities covers reading, spelling, writing, comprehension and time tables etc. My DS did not say much after the day, there was a short report along with the result includes these areas. Hope this helps, good luck to your DS.

Draylon Wed 25-Jan-17 23:51:14

Don't grammar schools start aged 11+??

cdfmum Thu 26-Jan-17 05:10:47

Thank you, it helps a lot!

cdfmum Thu 26-Jan-17 05:12:42

Mgs has first intake in year 3. It's a private grammar school, maybe that's why I take is earlier than other grammar school? Not sure though.

cdfmum Thu 26-Jan-17 05:13:33

Did you try anywhere else? Cheadle?

wangxiaosara Thu 26-Jan-17 05:47:00

No, we only entered him (7years old ds2) for the MGS as my DS1 did 11 plus this year and he passed all the grammar schools in Trafford. Ds1 also sat for the MGS, he has really good chance to pass, so we thought it would be nice to have both of them in the same school. We will find out the result for ds1 next month, if he passed, then we have to choose between the MGS and AGSB.

cdfmum Tue 28-Nov-17 14:51:49

Hello, we decided to go for it without any additional tutoring and we are waiting for a date for my boy's assessment. Has anyone's boy done the assessment this year and has any tips? Cheers

jasonshi510 Mon 15-Jan-18 10:40:15

My DS went to the assessment last week. My son said it is harder than his current school. Anyone has results yet?

cdfmum Mon 15-Jan-18 11:45:17

My son did it last week too, but he didn't say much. He enjoyed the day but said he still prefers his school!! I think he found it quite hard! Results will arrive on Saturday by mail.

Also, does anyone know why MGS asks the boys' current school for reports etc?

jasonshi510 Mon 15-Jan-18 12:56:45

The current school reports is the part of application document. My son did nt remember lots, but he said the maths are much harder than what he learn at the current school.

cdfmum Mon 15-Jan-18 14:10:38

yes sorry, I meant reference not report. We sent the report with the application form, but I know they ask the current school for a reference too.

jasonshi510 Fri 19-Jan-18 12:54:46

I understand from the previous years parents. Some of the current school did not response the reference so that the child lost place. Hopefully it is not the case for everyone here. I also don't know why they can not send email to inform us the decision as they did for the assessment day information.

monalisab Mon 29-Jan-18 00:30:58

MGS request the reading and spelling age as part of the reference. They also want an idea of whether or not each boy will be able to cope in the MGS environment. Hope you had good news last week!

cdfmum Mon 19-Feb-18 12:33:43

We did have great news: my boy was offered a place! :-)

monalisab Mon 19-Feb-18 12:44:45

Congratulations! Same here. We are super excited. The tour morning just reinforced how incredibly talented & confident MGS boys are. Can't wait!

cdfmum Mon 19-Feb-18 13:42:26

Great! And yes I totally agree: we were so impressed with the boys, the school, the staff! It will be a great adventure :-)

Draylon Mon 19-Feb-18 22:30:29

But- don't you enter grammar school at 11 post 11+? Can you get in at 7, then??

monalisab Mon 19-Feb-18 22:52:55

A fair number of grammar and independent schools now take children in from aged 7 (if not before) through to 18: Bury, Bolton, Bridgewater, Kings, MGS.

Lifechallenges Mon 19-Feb-18 23:39:07

MGS is a private school so don’t confuse with a state grammar. Its selective so lots go at Yr3 from state primaries across Manchester if they want an MGS education at High School level.
There are burseries available for Yr3 entry also: albeit most pay full fees

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: