Talk

Advanced search

DD can tell me the sounds in a word but isn't as good at reading, help?

(4 Posts)
AllTheLightWeCannotSee Mon 23-Jan-17 18:58:50

First year of school.

If I ask what sounds are in pig, she'll quite quickly answer p-i-g. If I say p-i-g, she will say 'pig'.

However, if I write pig, she will say 'p-i-g' and then go blank confused Is this common?

ConfessorKahlan Mon 23-Jan-17 19:03:28

Year 1 teacher here. Don't worry- she is doing really well to recognise all of her sounds. She will get better at blending as she matures and gets more practise. I would not worry about a child in my class being at this stage at this time of the year.

Do lots of reading at home, both her reading and you. Keep reading fun and help her when she needs it. If you really are worried then make an appointment to talk to her teacher.

GlowWine Mon 23-Jan-17 19:11:59

We had this. Our teacher advised not to worry, to keep practising, we had individual letter cards(home made) and kept assembling them into two or three letter words. Eventually it clicked, and we gradually move to 4 letters and then gave up the cards altogether.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Mon 23-Jan-17 22:25:40

Totally normal. My son is past this stage but is definitely a stage they all go through. I got a pack of RWI cards and used to put one card down at a time then see if he could slowly blend them into a word.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now