Talk

Advanced search

Packed lunch ideas for weight gain?!

(12 Posts)
Lifeisshort123 Sun 22-Jan-17 16:47:34

DS isn't gaining and is only 6, he's a little short for his but he was sat on the 60th weight percentage last year but is now on the 30th. He hasn't lost weight but in the past 18mths he hasn't gained a single pound! I know he's under the average weight but he isn't underweight however is this normal?!
He eats well and balanced, I'm wondering if I'm not feeding him enough in his packed lunches he has a cheese or ham sandwich with butter, a packed of crisps or a club penguin bar ect, banana or apple/other fruit, small yougurt, strawberry milkshake/apple juice is this too little In a 6yr olds packed lunch. What could I add into his packed lunch to help him start gaining a little bit of weight each month. He has grown in height but not much.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 22-Jan-17 17:58:03

My son varies a lot depending on where he is in terms of growth spurts.

MarzipanPiggy Sun 22-Jan-17 19:13:34

Maybe creamy / full fat yoghurts? Will he have milk with meals? Would he eat something like a cold pasta salad type dish? Or savoury muffins / scones..

Watching with interest as DS will be on packed lunches when he starts school but much prefers a cooked meal.

Kanga59 Mon 23-Jan-17 21:46:29

peperami. stick of cheese. mayonnaise in the sandwich. or cream cheese and ham sandwich. mayo is great for calories.

banana is more calories than apple/orange.

homemade flapjack instead of penguin? you could tweak the calories as you make it.

check that everything is full fat, yogs and butter eg.

Kanga59 Mon 23-Jan-17 21:48:21

I'd ditch the apple juice and milkshake owing to sugar levels (unless it's sugar free crusha or a hydro which is zero sugar). banana milk (just whizz up.banana and milk). I prefer semi skimmed milk as it's higher protein than full fat.

what about a hot cross bun with butter in it as an extra.?!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Jan-17 17:19:16

Have you measured his height as we'll as his weight? Could it be that he's just grown taller? smile

Lifeisshort123 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:16:46

I was thinking too but he's only grown 2 inches in 18mths which doesn't sound much too me but maybe that's normal for a 6yr old?? He's was quite tall for a 4yr old but is sitting on the 37th percentile for height and before I'm almost certain he was sitting in the low eighties :/

Doolallylally Tue 24-Jan-17 19:21:26

Full fat everything is definitely the way to go. Put more butter on his bread and extra full-fat cheese. Peanut butter is also good, nice and thick. I'd ditch the crisps as they are empty calories and add in another sandwich. A large full fat yoghurt would be good.

At home you could add in double cream to his mash, pasta dishes, soups and puddings.

misblink Tue 24-Jan-17 19:24:14

I ditched crisps for dd who sounds similar and added a chunk of cheese and oatcakes. She is allowed peanut butter so she had a thick peanut butter sandwich

Spottyladybird Tue 24-Jan-17 19:29:52

Ambrosia do lunch box size rice pudding and custard as a change from yogurt if he'll eat them cold.
Cubes of cheese, crackers, houmous, cheese scones, cheese straws, chopped up ham.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Jan-17 19:38:23

Forgot to answer your question on quantity, yes the amount sounds fine.

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 25-Jan-17 10:46:11

If there is no nut ban then nuts are your friends. Lots of options for nut butters. Ground almonds can be added to loads of things without being detected. You could pack a lot more in to a homemade flapjack than is in a penguin. Can you do double sandwich fillings? Ham and cheese with mayo? Egg mayo and bacon? If you really want to pack a punch homemade clotted cream rice pudding! If cheese isn't in the sandwich maybe back some as an extra little snack. Home made cheese straws are also good. Yoghurts with little pots of granola to add.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now