Talk

Advanced search

Holmwood House school?

(11 Posts)
user1474145159 Sat 21-Jan-17 09:07:03

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about Holmwood House school? We'd like to send out DS into private primary school, ideally in Colchester with some hope of getting him into grammar school.
Unfortunately we moved into the area too late to get a guaranteed place at Oxford House which I heard is ideal for that (saying that their headmistress is retiring so who knows what it will be like few years down the line).
From what I can see Holmwood House has great facilities and extra curricular activities but I'm not sure if they are brilliant academically wise and whether they are good at sending kids to grammar schools?I saw that their kids go to lots of private secondary schools.We are not super rich so ideally would like to get our DS into state grammar afterwards (obviously if we don't it won't be end of the world but that's primarily why we'd pay that kind of money). Im not sure if that's the focus of that school though like it's the focus of Oxford House school say. I'm also not sure our son will fit in there. Wel be fine paying Holmwood House fees but there won't be any amazing holidays to go with it, or super expensive toys, and I'm not sure if he'll feel left out if most people there are super well off.

Skinimum Sat 21-Jan-17 09:12:57

In my experience, and I have no idea about Holmwood, most prep schools are there to prepare kids for private schools not state. Certainly in Bucks, boys schools go up to yr8 therefore they have no interest in losing half their cohort at the end of yr 6 to grammar school.

If you are super keen on grammar save your money and pay for lots of tutoring.

As for expensive hols and toys, don't think boys at my sons school measure their peers that way. They are 'mostly' pretty grounded and normal.

LockieS Sat 21-Jan-17 09:15:49

Oxford house has a big bullying problem.

TheWanderingUterus Sat 21-Jan-17 09:33:35

I'd save your money for a tutor. Oxford House is the churner for the grammars but it's not a very pleasant environment imo, most of the work they do is aimed firmly at passing the test.

Hamilton Primary (state) has an excellent reputation for getting children into the grammars. Last year they had 4 boys and 2 girls taking up places at the grammars, and this year I believe it's at least 5 girls and three boys who got good enough scores (out of an intake of 60). You do have to live very close to the school ( the catchment area shown on RM is pretty accurate) and the houses tend to be small and expensive, but it's an academic school that does good pastoral care. They are very good at stretching able kids.

user1474145159 Sat 21-Jan-17 13:39:59

LockieS could you tell me a bit more about bullying at Oxford House? What sort of bullying? Skinimum, that's such a good point,in the sense that Holmwood House school goes up to year 8 so perhaps they are not all that interested in sending them to grammar schools.TheWandering I heard how difficult it is to get into Hamilton. Sorry for sounding ignorant but what is RM?i was just wondering how close you have to live to guarantee yourself a place.

LockieS Sat 21-Jan-17 14:24:12

Anecdotally a friend removed her child and sent her to St Mary's girls due to ongoing bullying the school said wasn't happening. It wasn't just her there were numerous parents complaining and it was brushed under the carpet.

user1474145159 Sat 21-Jan-17 14:27:17

Lockie this is awful! is that from other kids or members of staff?

user1474145159 Sat 21-Jan-17 14:31:56

I'm looking at St Anne's at Chelmsford as well at the moment.I know it's quite far but we are prepared to move a bit closer. Has anyone heard anything about that school? It does sound very similar to Oxford House

LockieS Sat 21-Jan-17 15:04:30

By children (or a child in particular)

user1474145159 Sat 21-Jan-17 15:18:41

You wouldn't expect private school to brush something like this under the carpet

TheWanderingUterus Sat 21-Jan-17 18:55:26

Sorry, RM is RightMove! Been on there too much recently!

Spaces do come up at Hamilton because of the army and also just people moving. DD was at Hamilton (she is at the grammar now) and she had at least one child leave every year from her class, some years three or four. If you don't get in for Foundation you could probably get in by yr 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now