Talk

Advanced search

Numeracy and understanding.

(7 Posts)
lemonysnickett Fri 23-Feb-07 19:21:50

Forgot to mention in other thread...although my daughter has keen interest in maths, we have been going over some sats type questions and she seems unable to tell me what strategies she used to work out her answers. I wonder if she really understands what she is doing. Sometimes she seems to pluck answers from out of the air...has anyone else experienced these problems with numeracy?

Troutpout Fri 23-Feb-07 19:32:18

all the time for me (ds is 9)
He's been doing delberts practice sats questions this week...and i have no idea how he does some of it
His method of long-division is different to how i was taught..and when he was stuck and i showed him how i did it...he got told off the next day

spudmasher Fri 23-Feb-07 19:34:56

What other thread? This is one of my favourite subjects!! What do you want to know?

popsycal Fri 23-Feb-07 19:40:17

going to post you a link to show you how chidrlen are taught maths...

popsycal Fri 23-Feb-07 19:41:23

third and fourth links down
shout if you want to know anything specific

lemonysnickett Sat 24-Feb-07 15:11:21

Thanks so much for this, found the site very useful. I feel that i am sometimes having to teach my daughter from scratch. It seems very little is ingrained in school.

PussyWillow Sun 25-Feb-07 20:42:37

Thanks, I found that site fab too.

I have been doing vertical addition with my dd (who has place value well in her head now) but I like the idea of 'expanding' it a bit to start with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now