Talk

Advanced search

Advice on relocating and not enough places for DCs at same school

(6 Posts)
Anjelika Sun 15-Jan-17 14:34:10

Just after a bit of advice. We are relocating and have DS1 in Yr 5 and DTs in Year 2. Nearest primary is 0.3 miles and can take DS1 but not DTs and waiting list already has children on who have siblings in school and live nearer to school than we will be. School has said there's very little chance of the DTs getting places. Next nearest school is 1 mile away and could take all 3 children. My plan is to send DS1 to nearest school for end of Yr 5 & Yr 6 in the hope he will make friends who live nearby prior to moving to secondary. Looking forward our house is well in the catchment for good secondary and children from both these primaries will go to that school. Do you think I'm doing the best thing or would you send all 3 to the school a mile away? Nearest school
has breakfast and after school club but, on days I'm not working I'd be happy for DS1 to walk himself to and from school in Yr 6.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 15-Jan-17 14:53:29

Which school do you like more? Is there likely to be a mass exodus at end of yr2 if people go private? How does your yr5 feel about being alone at the school? It sounds as if most days you would be going to the other school anyway so I guess you would need to think why you prefer the nearer school for your yr5.

Anjelika Sun 15-Jan-17 17:03:12

Haven't been round either school yet as our main focus has been finding a house although have spoken to both by phone. Going round the nearer one on Tuesday. The reason for sending the eldest to the nearest is so he can hopefully make some friends who live near where we do ready to go to secondary school. Also I am still hoping that, against the odds, I will get the other 2 in there whilst DS1 is in Yr 6. I certainly don't think he'll mind being at a different school as it will only be a year until he's at secondary.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 15-Jan-17 17:41:49

I wouldn't worry too much about making friends at secondary. Most friendships seem to be mixed up and some secondaries actively separate children from the same primary. Probably worth enquiring to the planned secondary to see what they usually do as he might make local friends and be split from them anyway. Many close primary friendships are quietly dumped as they reinvent themselves in yr7.

Anjelika Sun 15-Jan-17 18:53:35

That's interesting - thanks. DS1 has one really close friend where we are now and then about 5 others he would be happy to hang out with but he knows everyone in his class as classes remain the same right from reception. My younger two are more outgoing and make friends wherever they go so it's DS1 I'm more worried about. I might feel less worried after Tue when we visit his potential new school.

parklives Sun 15-Jan-17 18:53:46

Echoing the pp. I didn't have a single child from my primary in my form at secondary, although there were lots in that intake Year. It was useful in the first couple of weeks, after that I made better friends in my own form, it was a chance to grow and reinvent myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now