Talk

Advanced search

DS has been attending E.L.S.A sessions but I don't know why?

(8 Posts)
BirdInTheRoom Sun 15-Jan-17 11:09:39

My DS, year 2, has been attending E.L.S.A. sessions - he hasn't told us much about it and the school haven't mentioned anything to us either. It's only that he has come home on a couple of occasions saying that he has seen the E.L.S.A. and a little about what he has done in the sessions.

After googling it seems that children have to be referred onto the program and I'm really worried that there is a problem I don't know about! I have written a note to his teacher to ask her to call me about it but I wondered if anyone here could shed any light on what sort of children get referred and if this is something I need to worry about?

He is achieving well at school, has friends etc. Nothing has ever been mentioned to us before. He can be a little shy and reserved sometimes but nothing out of the ordinary I don't think.

TeenAndTween Sun 15-Jan-17 11:33:37

ELSA is emotional literacy support.

It could well be just trying to get him out of his shell a bit.

If this is a group session they might have bunged him in there to help make up the numbers as, although not a main target, they think he would benefit from the side.

I don't think you need to worry, but I do find it slightly strange they are doing an intervention like this without having at least let you know first.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 15-Jan-17 11:37:24

We have an ELSA and she is just in the process of writing to parents about their child starting sessions with her for this term. I'm also surprised they didn't let you know, but why not go in and ask to speak to the Senco, who is probably line-managing the ELSA.

TealGiraffe Sun 15-Jan-17 11:42:57

Just something to consider. In some of my interventions such as SULP we include some children who dont have any problems, so they can model behaviour to others. There is no point having a social / chatty group where nobody speaks.

Having a couple of children who are more confident and good at turn taking etc encourages the others to take part as they dont have to 'go first' they can watch the other child and get ideas on how to proceed etc

BirdInTheRoom Sun 15-Jan-17 11:47:41

Ok thanks everyone - feeling a little bit less worried about it all now! Hopefully it will all become clear this week and it won't be anything too major!

BarbarianMum Sun 15-Jan-17 16:49:57

Both mine have attended ELSA sessions at one point or another. Ds1 because he's kind and gentle and encouraging to others and ds2 because he struggled greatly with competition and esp losing (wouldn't join in if he thought he might come last). It's good whatever the reason.

imip Sun 15-Jan-17 16:54:26

My dc have always been used in similar groups as a role model for good behavior hmm

Rather ironically, dd2 was used quite a lot. So when I expressed concerns about autism they thought I was barking mad. She's now y4 and had her diagnosis for a year and has lots of intervention for social issues.

Clueless23 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:51:07

Sorry birdintheroom for joining the discussion.... but could someone please advise what is the best way to get an ELSA into our private school for my child and others and how to do it w/o too much red tape? Aka ASAP. The letters been received by school n us and I've asked the teacher to see how it can be expedited. Any thoughts much appreciated. TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now