Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Disciplining yr 1 children

(6 Posts)
HeCantBeSerious Sat 14-Jan-17 10:03:27

DS moved into Yr 1 in September. Unfortunately, the class teacher was ill for the first 5 weeks so a supply teacher took the class. She was keen not to make the class "hers", so when the permanent teacher returned it was, in her words, "chaos". 30 children, a few with behavioural issues. She implemented several behaviour systems at once (dojo points - focussed on positive and a red, amber and green system and possibly others). Doesn't seem to have done much about disruptive behaviour (DS says the same children end up on red every day and the "good" children seem to get punished for tiny indiscretions whilst the "naughty" ones are committing far worse crimes, but anyway).

DS came home the other night and was very tired. He was playing up whilst brushing teeth before bed and when I told him I'd had enough of it he said he would go and stand by the wall. When I asked what he meant he said at school the teacher would tell them to stand by the wall if they mucked around. I asked how and he said they had to "face the wall for ages until she says they can stop". He apparently hasn't had to do it but some of the others have.

I'm a bit concerned. The teacher isn't very focussed - often tries to give DS reading books he's already had, doesn't notice when certain children do things (they can be quite devious and calculating) and "forgets" to reward/punish children quite openly. I feel uncomfortable with the children being asked to face the wall - not sure why - just makes me uneasy.

Any thoughts?

Char22thom Sat 14-Jan-17 10:19:17

I've been a yr1 teacher and certainly would never see this as an appropriate punishment for a school to use. I think you need to make an appointment to speak to the head teacher about it, depends how open the head is to parents, she/he may ask you to see deputy instead which is fine, or may be able to have a phone call with them if not available at time that suits you both. Dont discuss with the secretary/receptionist, wait until you get to speak with the head and be clear about what you want to say and what you feel the outcome should be, but I for one would not be happy in any way for my DS to be in that situation, even the good kids will be getting scared that it night happen to them which is not a healthy environment for learning, you only get one shot at their education x

Cabawill Sat 14-Jan-17 10:22:32

Mine had to stand against the wall at lunch times. I had a problem with it as I don't think it's acceptable. I spoke to the Head about it and they changed the policy.

HeCantBeSerious Sat 14-Jan-17 10:25:19

Thanks. I have a good relationship with the head (and other staff - I'm chair of the PTA).

DS is okay. He's one of the bright kids that just get on with it. Teacher's attention is so focussed on the kids with problems that he's pretty much ignored. I understand they need crowd control when there are 30 hyped up 5 and 6 year olds but this struck me as going too far.

Annoyingly I've just started a new job that means I can't be at school at pick up anymore to have a quick chat about it, and I don't think DH would feel comfortable doing it. I'll think about the best way to approach it - I think parents' evening might be in Feb.

smilingsarahb Sat 14-Jan-17 10:59:16

Can I just say as a secretary/receptionist...not giving us any info doesn't always help your cause. Heads are really busy and aren't always the best person to speak to anyway.. I'm not just saying that, the often don't know your child and have never seen their work etc. If we say X has called and needs to speak to you, we immediately get asked why and if we can't give any info, all of the heads I've worked for just sigh and then leave it until much later in the day and often try and get another member of staff to call back first. You don't have to give a huge amount of info. I would just say please could the head call me back as soon as possible because I have some concerns about the behaviour management processes and on this occasion it isn't appropriate to speak to the class teacher or head of year. I think that would get a quicker response. However, personally I would ask the teacher first as I think it's more respectful. If you just ask her to call you as your child is a bit confused and upset by the reward systems in place ..then you can have a chat.you don't need to say t negatively, even though it sounds a horrid situation. I had a chat about the award system in my boys school with the class teacher and they actually changed it (he was feeling sick if he didn't make exceptional..so he'd be on good and thinking he'd failed) If you aren't happy with the response go to the head then. That also is better if you have to make a formal complaint as you've followed the correct procedures.

Char22thom Sat 14-Jan-17 11:25:04

Of course smilingsarah didn't mean to offend, but just conscious that in primary schools teachers get whispers of x's mum wants to see mrs head about your behaviour management and that is not helpful nor productive. I would also suggest saying, it is urgent and I need to speak to her personally, but as OP has said she does have a positive relationship with the head and so that should be simple enough. Although not wanting to blow this out of proportion the class teacher is behaving inappropriately with regards to managing the children in her class and that needs to be taken seriously. As a pp said, I have heard of schools where the children stand against a wall on the edge of playground at playtime if misbehaving but imho standing to FACE the wall during lesson time is very inappropriate and unprofessional x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now