Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pupil Premium Criteria

(9 Posts)
allmixedupreally Fri 13-Jan-17 19:16:22

If ds was on Free school meals during 2012-2015 - reception to end of year two. Does that mean he is still pupil premium if he is no longer FSM? - I've heard it's for 6 years after receiving fsm -

BetweenTwoLungs Fri 13-Jan-17 19:21:40

Yes , he is under the 'ever 6' category meaning he has had FSM in the past.

mrz Fri 13-Jan-17 19:54:46

If he received FSM because of the universal offer for all reception and KS1 pupils no he isn't eligible for pupil premium if you claimed it because you were in receipt of relevant benefits he will be classed as "ever 5" for pupil premium

allmixedupreally Fri 13-Jan-17 21:03:05

Ok he received it as I was a single parent student at the time - not the universal under 7 fsm policy. When would the pp end ?
Mrz - ds takes violin lessons and I am struggling a bit to meet the cost - could I ask the school if his pp could be used for this ?

allmixedupreally Fri 13-Jan-17 21:23:39

And lastly he moved school in December will the new school get it for this academic year?

RueDeWakening Fri 13-Jan-17 22:43:24

My DD's clarinet lessons are funded by her PP - she gets FSM currently though, and it was at the discretion of the school.

CarterUSM Fri 13-Jan-17 23:48:06

Lone parent here too. DD is Yr2 and ever 6. Although I have been working since about 6 weeks into reception year, the PP funding from ever 6 has been a real godsend because I am still earning a relatively low wage.

Because she is ever 6 the school subsidise (I.e. cover the costs for) the following:
All sports clubs at school (she does 4)
Music tuition (she's learning violin)

I would say it's definitely worth asking school about the music lesson costs. I think it's done on a school by school basis but there is no way my DD could access these extra curricular opps if I had to pay the full amount for them all.

Ever 6 funding covers the child for 6 years from the point they were eligible for FSM. I think the wording used is something like 'eligible for FSM at any point in the last six years then they are eligible for PP funding'. In your case if he was last eligible for FSM in 2015 then he will be eligible for PP until 2021. This will I think (from my calculations) mean he will be eligible for PP ever 6 until he gets to the end of year 8 - assuming he stopped receiving FSM at the end of Year 2.

In terms of when the new school would get the money, I think it's linked with when they do the census in schools which is October time. I think you will therefore have missed out on school being able to claim the money this year but this doesn't mean you can't ask as he is still eligible for PP. You'll need to show school some evidence to enable them to claim PP so a benefits entitlement letter would be really helpful if you still have one.

Best of luck

prh47bridge Sat 14-Jan-17 01:20:57

When would the pp end

At the end of Y8.

could I ask the school if his pp could be used for this

It is worth asking. They may say yes. But remember that they don't have to agree. It is not a personal budget. The school must use the Pupil Premium money to improve the attainment of disadvantaged pupils. If they are, for example, using it to provide additional TAs to help disadvantaged pupils they may not be able to fund your son's violin lessons. Even if they have the money they may not feel it is an appropriate use of the Pupil Premium.

And lastly he moved school in December will the new school get it for this academic year

No. The allocations for 2016/17 were based on the school census taken in January 2016. School budgets are not adjusted for changes in the school population during the year. Your son's old school will have been allocated his Pupil Premium for 2016/17. His new school will get it for 2017/18.

allmixedupreally Sat 14-Jan-17 09:13:09

Thank you very much all of you - that's a big help - at least I can talk to the school about it for next academic year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now