Talk

Advanced search

count your blessings and your pennies

(6 Posts)
robinpud Thu 22-Feb-07 10:13:09

Since arriving in Australia in January for a year we have spent
approx 70 pounds on uniform for 2 kids ( lots ofn second hand stuff and summer stuff only so far)That was on ABSOLUTE basics - nothing fanct like book bags and summer stuff only>

spent about 40 pounds on stationery and exercise books as requested by the school
(includes a box of tissues to go into the class pool!)

spent 40 pounds on the text books requested by the school and for the school contribution

paid stationery levy for 2 kids - approx 20 pounds in total ( nodiscount for kids who write small!)

contributed 20 punds for ds to have sports teaching at school during the school day.. a commercial sports programme HEAVILY pushed by the school so the teachers don't have to teach sport

spent another 20 ponds on dd who has got into the netball team so will spend every Friday going to matches. (kids who are sick or injured are expected to attend as suporters!!!)

I haven't even mentioned the costs of swimming lessons or soccer....

So before you moan about the UK education system, count your blessings and your pennies and your time> Tracking down some of the required items has taken ages.

did I mention that every book the children write in is sent home for the parents to cover in contact?

SSShakeTheChi Thu 22-Feb-07 10:14:50

sorry, what do you mean with the books being covered in contact?

MrsBadger Thu 22-Feb-07 10:15:58

Contact is like clear sticky-backed plastic and an arse to do.

SSShakeTheChi Thu 22-Feb-07 10:16:46

Oh thanks Mrs B. Yes, can imagine that is a pain.

robinpud Thu 22-Feb-07 10:19:24

Some books are to be clear and some have to be patterned contact so that the books are clearly identifiable.

Did I mention the 250 for my daughter to play in an under 10 football team?!

mummydoc Mon 26-Feb-07 11:41:24

lol when I lived in OZ i had to contribute every tern to nursery to pay for plastic pants ( to go into pooled supply)to cover the towellign nappies they used even though my dd was toilet trained !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now