Talk

Advanced search

Infant and junior, or all through primary

(6 Posts)
3strikes Sun 08-Jan-17 17:19:46

Just that really. Do you think it is better to stay at one primary from 4-11 or is it ok to do infant4-7 then juniors. Not sure what will be best?

MiaowTheCat Sun 08-Jan-17 17:32:01

I love infant schools in general - but in the end I went for an all-in-one primary for DD1 (and I assume DD2 in September). Means I won't have to be doing school runs to two places again after this year when DD2 finishes nursery and since the infant feeds into the primary at KS2 anyway - it seemed a bit daft to put an unnecessary school transition in there.

It's what works for you though - the infant school would have been more of a pain for us to do school runs to as well which was a bit of a factor. I'm also a bit wary of the future of infant schools around here as the LEA was on a big drive a few years ago to consolidate them into primaries by merging them with their associated junior schools and our infants would be a fantastic site for them to flog off for housing which I could see happening in the medium term future to be honest (primary is already expanding so it's looking more and more likely).

golfbuggy Sun 08-Jan-17 18:31:58

Separate infants and junior have worked well for us, though that was with moving into a larger junior (2 form entry infants, 4 form entry juniors). Not sure I'd have particularly seen the benefits of separate schools if basically all the same DC moved from one to the other!

Having a separate infants meant a much more nurturing environment focussed on the younger children with the Y2 children able to take on responsibilities that they wouldn't have had in a 4-11 school.

Moving to a bigger junior meant more opportunities for friends and more facilities, plus the whole atmosphere of the school is focussed around a smaller age group so they don't get babied in the same way as infants.

Downside was having 2 DC meant 2 years of 1 in each (though the schools synchronised things like times).

beautifulgirls Sun 08-Jan-17 21:57:30

We didn't have a great experience of infant to junior - the infant school was lovely, no complaints but moving up to the linked junior school we found it didn't work well for our DDs at all. At different stages and for different reasons we changed them out of there into other schools. I am sure however this was down to the school rather than the fact it was infant-junior system. Just be aware if you choose an infant school to be sure that the junior school it is likely to feed into afterwards is what you really want.

BackforGood Sun 08-Jan-17 23:15:58

I think there are a lot of advantages to separate schools, but it's going to depend on the options in your area, there's no 'correct answer' that fits all schools. There are also some advantages to a 'through Primary'.
It would really make my list of "things that I thought were a positive" nor "things that I thought were a negative" about choosing a school.

Hoppinggreen Mon 09-Jan-17 09:48:37

It does depend .
One issue to consider though - my DS goes to a through Primary but the 2 other main schools in this are are juniors and infants. Parents have to go through the very stressful application process again for juniors and not all get to stay, especially if having a sibling pushed them up the list in infants but the sibling has left by the time they apply to juniors ( this happened to 2 of my friends). Around 2 or 3 from each school don't get a place in juniors, which I know isn't much but it must be hard if it's your child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now