Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know about Year 2 tests/assessments relating to writing?

(23 Posts)
WasntThinking Fri 06-Jan-17 23:46:44

DS is struggling to write fast enough and is being kept in to finish. When I spoke to the teacher I was told there is some sort of monthly assessment or rest that's logged, and they think he's more capable than he'd look if his work were marked as unfinished all the time. So they put pressure encourage him to stay and finish to qualify for the assessment, whatever one it is.

Does anyone have any clue as to what this mystery, unknown assessment could be?

mrz Sat 07-Jan-17 07:03:14

It's an internal system used by your child's school and only they can tell you.
Most schools will be continually assessing all subjects including writing and overall achievement reported will be based on this not one single piece of writing.

WasntThinking Sat 07-Jan-17 08:54:08

Is there anything remotely important for Year 2, or is it just recorded for the sake of it?

mrz Sat 07-Jan-17 11:58:27

Year 2 is a SATs year and the results will be reported to theDfE and used to measure progress /set targets for Y6

irvineoneohone Sat 07-Jan-17 12:08:58

My ds is painfully slow writer, and has been kept in to finish his work.
Actually I am grateful, that the teacher/ta is using there free time to supervise him.

If he can get used to write faster now, it will only benefit him, as years progress, it will be more work to do, imo.

WasntThinking Sat 07-Jan-17 12:27:54

How on earth can you set targets for year 6, four years in advance?

irvineoneohone Sat 07-Jan-17 12:52:36

It has always been done. Like Yr2 TA sets target for YR6, Yr6 sats sets targets for GCSE.
How they do it with new NC, , I don't know , it's all up to each school?
(Used to be, if YR2 TA was level3, they expected YR6 level to be level 5 or whatever.)

mrz Sat 07-Jan-17 13:08:15

*"*^*How they do it with new NC*^*"* exactly the same as the old

WasntThinking Sat 07-Jan-17 13:14:54

So what I'm getting here is that it's actually really important that he nails this handwriting asap.

mrz Sat 07-Jan-17 13:20:53

Teacher judges writing (over the year and across all curriculum areas) to award working towards, working at or at greater depth within the expected standard.

WasntThinking Sat 07-Jan-17 13:29:22

Interesting that there's no mention of quantity as much as quality. I wonder who would be setting the amount that needs to be covered? DS apparently works to a high standard but just too slowly. He's getting really discouraged by it so it's starting to turn him off handwriting confused

irvineoneohone Sat 07-Jan-17 13:34:17

Of course it's very important. If he has series of unfinished works, the teacher can't assess the child's true ability and cannot award him the attainment he deserves..
That's why teacher is giving up her/his own time to keep him in. Not to torture him!

mrz Sat 07-Jan-17 13:41:42

We look at a side or more of narrow lined A4 depending on the writing type

irvineoneohone Sat 07-Jan-17 13:52:14

My ds' teacher last year kept him in. Of course he complained.
This year, the teacher doesn't. He is happy. She just tells me he is too slow, and cannot give him good grades if it doesn't improve. And I saw lots of unfinished work in his book at open evening.
Can you guess which teacher actually care about my ds more imo?

SaltyMyDear Sat 07-Jan-17 13:56:37

Why is he slow? Is it thinking / deciding what to write which is slow? Or is it his handwriting which is slow?

WasntThinking Sat 07-Jan-17 14:25:26

I am not entirely sure what his problem is, just that he's too slow.

I did a mini-test with him and he wrote 20 words in 3 minutes. I can't see why that's too slow personally. But maybe he could make a big effort with me at home or something?

mrz Sat 07-Jan-17 14:49:21

It really isn't about words per minute

irvineoneohone Sat 07-Jan-17 15:07:04

Agree with mrz, it's not about how fast he can physically write. It's about how he can translate his thinking in his head on to the paper.

My ds can write a lot and fast if he was writing something he wants to write about. But At school, he is given topics to write about. He can get distracted, thinking about totally different thing because he isn't interested in the topic, or he can't think of anything to write, etc. In my ds' case, it's about not physical difficulty, but concentration on the topic he isn't interested.

WasntThinking Sat 07-Jan-17 15:09:09

If it is a concentration issue, what can be done?

irvineoneohone Sat 07-Jan-17 15:17:14

I'd like know how to help with concentration too.
If you are working with your dc at home 1-1, it's quite easy to keep them concentrated, since you can give 100 % attention.
At school environment, with 30 children, it's impossible for a teacher to give them same amount of attention. So, the children needs to learn to do it by themselves. That is why I am still struggling with my ds after so many years!
OP. you are lucky your ds' teacher wants to sort it ou now.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 07-Jan-17 22:53:41

I think you probably need to get to the bottom of what the issue might be.

Did you say on the other thread that you thought he might be spending a lot of time trying to get his handwriting 'perfect'?

Didiplanthis Sun 08-Jan-17 09:17:16

My dd has formally diagnosed slow visual processing. So she can't process her thoughts or how to get them down on paper in the expected timescale, they can keep her in and tell her off till the cows come home - it won't help. She is learning strategies to help her organise her thoughts and work while being praised for what she does do as the constant criticism was making thing 10 x worse and she was getting very anxious. It's part of likely dyslexia despite being very able and hitting targets just not the targets she should be hitting.

CheekyNandosChicken Sun 08-Jan-17 09:24:51

There's lots of distractions at school- people chatting, mucking around...
My son's older with very small writing but I think that the teacher can tell if it's finished or not by the final sentence being complete or whether there's a clear beginning/middle/end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now