Talk

Advanced search

MyMaths

(7 Posts)
Changeandchangeagain Tue 03-Jan-17 21:42:15

Does your DC use this program? My DS is using it at school but I find it rather hard to tell whatare the level of questions he is getting. He is doing year 2 arithmetic but within it are there progressive levels of difficulty?

RandomDent Tue 03-Jan-17 21:45:48

Hello
I have used mymaths for homework in the past. It refers to the (old) level system but doesn't have sub levels. To be honest it's a bit hit and miss, especially in KS1. Is he doing tasks set by the teacher or is he choosing games to play? What is it that is concerning you about the difficultly levels?

Changeandchangeagain Tue 03-Jan-17 22:00:20

Thanks Random! I tried to look up their website but haven't got much info out. DS likes using it at school but saying that the questions are too easy and it gets a bit boring, so I am curious whether the program is the type which is sensitive to performance and will give him some more challenging questions soon, or whether he will have to go through a set number of questions to progress.

RandomDent Tue 03-Jan-17 22:40:49

I used to just set a task relevant to the work that week, it should only take a couple of minutes, and if he's been paying attention in class they would be fairly straightforward. There isn't much choice, particularly before year 3. I'm not sure if mymaths is sophisticated enough to sense the difficulty. smile

irvineoneohone Tue 03-Jan-17 22:47:07

I don't have experience of mymaths, but I've seen lots of maths teachers recommend it on MN, so it must be quite good.
Can't you ask teacher at school if they can adjust the levels?

noblegiraffe Tue 03-Jan-17 22:56:05

No, mymaths isn't sensitive to performance. For each worksheet it just generates the same questions with different numbers. If he wants more difficult work then he needs to ask his teacher to set him different tasks, which may or may not be available on the system.

Changeandchangeagain Tue 03-Jan-17 23:02:39

Thanks for the info! The school is using it as extra practice I think. The teacher has set it to additions and subtractions and I can imagine it gets a bit repetitive after a while. DS happily announced today that he has moved on to "number 3 level 1" but I have no idea what that means!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now