Talk

Advanced search

SATS: Can schools exclude children from taking the SATs?

(11 Posts)
user1475317873 Tue 03-Jan-17 12:13:02

Just wondering if schools are allowed to exclude children from taking the SATs due to SEN or other reasons? and if so, do they need to justify this?

I am trying to read the results from some schools as the number of eligible children who sat the exams don't add it to the number of children in year 6.

Thanks.

meditrina Tue 03-Jan-17 12:16:37

Yes, schools can apply to have pupils exempted from SATS and the usual reasons are SEN of a severity that would make the test pointless, or inadequate English in a (usually recently arrived) pupil with English as a second/additional language.

bojorojo Tue 03-Jan-17 12:18:52

Percentages are rounded up and down. It may not match actual numbers on roll. Most children in mainstream primary sit SATS but parents remove children for SATS because they object to them and plenty said they were doing just that last year. Children could also have been ill.

insan1tyscartching Tue 03-Jan-17 12:21:20

Ds didn't sit y2 SATs (back in the day when they were formal tests) because he wasn't at a level to achieve even a level 1. He did sit y6 SATs and achieved 5,5,4 grin so a fantastic achievement for him.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Tue 03-Jan-17 12:23:24

Those who were below the level for the test could be exempted previously. So generally if they were on the p scales rather than the nc levels they wouldn't take the test. I expect it's similar now the tests have changed but it's been a while since I worked with the tests.

user1475317873 Tue 03-Jan-17 15:04:30

Thank you

So, can I actually trust these results or could schools use the exemptions to manipulate it a bit?

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Tue 03-Jan-17 15:11:09

Personally I wouldn't read too much into the results, lots of 'teaching to the test' going on in my view. Plus you don't know what the starting points were, or if you just happen to have a weaker or stronger year group (especially where the school is only 1 or 2 classes per year, as smaller group sizes are more likely to be affected by unusual year compositions. For example one school near us a year or two back had one year group in which a third of the pupils were coincidentally all August birthdays.) They are one piece of info about a school, but not everything.

mrz Tue 03-Jan-17 16:52:34

Children who are working below the level of the tests are disapplied, however they are still included in the school data so it offers no advantage to the school.

mrz Tue 03-Jan-17 16:55:36

Here

trinity0097 Wed 04-Jan-17 11:21:19

Some parents choose to absent their pupils during SATS week, thus affecting percentages

user1475317873 Wed 04-Jan-17 12:40:59

Thank you. That's very helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now